Archinect
anchor

3dmax6_interior lighting hints

melvin

I'm working on interior renderings for a condo project...

Anybody have any hints for good interior lighting in max6?
For example...I usually do exteriors with advanced lighting light tracer set to bounce 1. then set a skylight with multiplier at 0.6 or so, and 1 target direct with the same multiplier. When I do interiors, and add a couple preset flourescent 4' lights to the seen, the ceiling, etc, gets very dark.

I tried bumping up the global multiplier, and those of the skylight and direct light, but still it's too dark.

Anybody have an general suggestions?

thanks

Nov 30, 04 7:45 pm
ferplexion

did you try increasing the reflectivity of your materials?

Nov 30, 04 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

it your materials not the lights
Try Vray to render interiors.

Nov 30, 04 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
French
http://www.cgtalk.com
http://www.cgarchitect.com
Dec 1, 04 11:57 am  · 
 · 
rydesign

make sure you use the radiosity feature, and keep using it throughout the process. It updates the reflectivity once you apply materials. If you go a long time not using it, it will mess up your output.

Dec 1, 04 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Don't use the radiosity feature, it's outdated and slow.

Use Mental Ray. It'll take a while to learn, so be prepared to go through a bunch of tutorials.

I use Final Render as my choice for great GI. Vray and Brazil are also good options.

Dec 1, 04 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

thanks for the suggestions. i'll look into mental ray a little more.

Dec 1, 04 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

ALSO GET MAX 7 IT'S METAL RAY PHOTON EMISSIONS HAVE BEEN GREATLY IMPROVED. WAY MORE REALISTIC THAN 6

Dec 1, 04 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
dlj

for interiors, you should definately look into brazil, vray, finalRender, and the soon to be released Maxwell. mental ray is great but much slower than the previously mentioned. if you're in a pinch and need quick results though, use radiosity with regather and logorithmic exposure control.

Dec 4, 04 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: