Archinect
anchor

UCLA, U Penn, Cornell, or Columbia?

heterarch

I know this sort of question gets posted all the time, but I didn't see one specifically questioning these four schools. Checked the link in "best schools", even spent the $20 to download the "book" at greenway comm about the best schools, etc.. note to others: it's worthless. less than 30 pages, not very insightful. wasted money. In any case, I'm looking at these 4 schools, I'm primarily interested in design as opposed to construction management/project management, and wanted your esteemed opinions based on personal knowledge.

Nov 30, 04 7:35 pm
swisscardlite

undergrad or grad? what are your stats?

Nov 30, 04 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

graduate. i have a 5 yr pro degree from ball state, graduated cum laude. interned at starchitect nyc firm, semester abroad in thailand, 1420 gre, about 2 years 'real world' experience by the time i get to grad school next year.
hope that helps w/matchmaking.. but also in general, what first hand opinions/reviews does anyone have?

Nov 30, 04 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

How is your letter of rec. status. Is this Starchitect you worked for willing to write you a recomendation..and does he/she have influence at any of those schools? Like you said, those lists are pretty worthless. Try searching through past conversations...this topic I am sure has been exhuastively discussed.

Nov 30, 04 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
zizi

gray, your being interested in 'design' over 'construction management' isn't enough to go on. All of these schools are interested in 'design'. They're architecture schools, not engineering schools. to make your decision, you should visit them (preferrably while school is in session). Talk to students. Look at a lot of student work. Ask yourself: is this the kind of work that I want to do?

My (very small) knowledge of these school is this: U Penn - very into making by hand. Anti-conceptual, anti-digital. Colubmia: exactly the opposite of UPenn. Very very digitally focused. UCLA: more well-rounded approach, you get a variety of perspectives and you are able to learn some of the digital stuff, and I think they do have some CNC machines. I know nothing about Cornell.

I don't think any of these schools are objectively better than the others (well, if I had to rank, I might say that UCLA and Columbia are a smidge better than Cornell and UPenn), it just depends on what you want to get out if it.

Nov 30, 04 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
PS

I would do some research on each of the schools on yr own. While Zizi's opinion is valid I would argue that each school cannot be broken down into a catch phrase. I’m sure every school has a wide variety of oppurtunities; your education at any of these schools will be what you make of it. Check out the school blogs they should be a great resource and insight into what is going on currently at each school. Also, be mindful that pedagogy changes year to year, what you sign on for may not be what you get.

Dec 1, 04 12:38 am  · 
 · 
lola

zizi -
that is not true about U Penn being anti-digital. The new Dean has a digital agenda that is changing the school.

Dec 1, 04 8:56 am  · 
 · 
ether

here we go again.

Dec 1, 04 11:01 am  · 
 · 
A

I second lola, I've heard that UPenn is going onto the digital bandwagon. They also got a beautiful campus, all be it surrounded by slums, but isn't that what Ivy league school are all like?

Does location have any basis? The weather is nice in LA.

Dec 1, 04 11:18 am  · 
 · 
zizi

Sorry if I misrepresented - what I know about UPenn is from a guy who graduated 2-3 years ago, so I know its old information. Who Isn't jumping on the digital bandwagon these days? Does anyone know if Penn's slant on it is going to be influenced by their prior interest in craft?

Dec 1, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
jimmyjam

cecil balmond just joined the faculty @ UPenn as well.............

Dec 1, 04 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

UCLA - if you like the beach, snowboarding, gorgeous campus, crazy LA
reliable sunshine

Columbia - if you are rich, like the isolated chaos of NY
the variety of New England weather

Dec 1, 04 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

zizi, your comments are well taken, i would prefer to visit each of the schools and inquire with current students, faculty, etc. but don't have the time or economic resources. aka, working butt off and dirt broke. which is why i posed the question, personal experience from members on the forum is better than what i know from my own research.
my intern starchitect is writing me a letter of rec, and teaches at penn, which is really why i'm considering penn, not having known anything about it till working on my internship. i've visited cornell in the past and liked it, and having interned in nyc, i've visited columbia many times and like it and love the city. i had many friends who interned in lalaland and highly recommended ucla, plus the faculty and lecturers are superb. i had heard the digi-penn rumors/whatever you want to call it, interesting to hear it backed up, though as a/zizi said, who isn't 'digital' now?
thanks for all the comments, like i said, i wish i could afford to get out to all of them and really research them personally, but it's not in the cards, so i really appreciate all the informed opinions/info i can get.

Dec 1, 04 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
zizi

I totally understand the lack of cash situation. I'm sure the admissions office could put you in touch with a student or two, though. The people that are there right now will give you the most accurate picture of the current state of the school and where it might be headed.

I had a teacher in undergrad (not a starchitect by any stretch) who really pushed me to consider UT Austin for grad school. He was so old, he remembered the place during the time of the Texas Rangers! I applied to appease him, but in no way did i consider it!

Honestly, of all the schools you talked about, if I were you I would choose UCLA. Columbia seems to have had its time in the 90s (though you never know what Wigley will do...) and UCLA seems to be coming up rather than going down. Plus, if you've already spent time in NYC, you should come and see how the other coast lives. Just my opinion is all.

Dec 1, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: