Archinect
anchor

london calling???

history

i am finally going to london. a city i am excited to finally experience.

any suggestions on some unique 'must dos' while i am there? things, places off the typical tourist map?
thanks

Nov 28, 04 8:14 pm
nihceee

Sir John Soane's Museum is a must-go. It packs an experience more intriguing and visceral than most modern masterpieces.

Nov 28, 04 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
weave

tate modern has a nice collection and is one of h&dm's strangest buildings...to me, at least. you could spend a long time there.

also, wagamama's noodle restaurant is a fun place to eat (maybe too tourist-y?). i think there are 4-5 in the city.

Nov 29, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
iwish

Just hang out. take long walks around the city, you will come across your own interesting experiences. It is a great place, and the clash rocks.

Nov 29, 04 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
history

thanks,
i love just walking around and getting lost in stimuli...
any cool shows, galleries, parties during dec 25 to the jan. 4th?

Nov 29, 04 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

you MUST go to speaker's corner at hyde park (marble arch by tube). it is outrageous. i believe sunday is best day to observe (or if you are my girlfriend-participate) argument at it's finest and most absurd.

libeskind has a new building at the london metro university, but it isn't open to the public really.

the tate isn't the wierdest building by herzog + de meuron. i think schaulager owns that title.

they also did a new building, the laban dance center (near greenwich) however i wouldn't go there without an armored vehicle. it felt more like barcelona than london, and i feared carrying around my good camera while there.

take the tour of the tower (of london) and spring the extra money-you get to see the crown jewels, along with some other insights.

catch an arsenal game if you can.

make out on the greenich meridian at the royal observatory in greenwich

swing the bus from victoria coach station to brighton and get the best fish and chips on the isle.

bond street features a number of boutiques by top designers (oma?, john pawson, david chipperfield, et al)

above all enjoy your time in the largest city in europe, and one of the coolest places to go out. take note, though, the bars close at 11.

Dec 17, 04 5:05 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

I would most certanly add a visit to Camden Market, or "the Stables" to be precise. Probably he best place in the world. =) That might be on teh tourist map though.

Also, see Lloyds building (soo much better in real life) in the financial districts och catch a glimpse of Swiss Re by Foster why you are there.

A nice club is Nag nag nag on wednesdays at the Ghetto, very London. Fits my budget too. Check out Bristol for other clubs and bars.

Tate and Laban are great, so is Wagamama.

Dec 20, 04 12:53 am  · 
 · 
bigness

go wlaking through the city (the financial district, where foster's swiss re is ) on a saturady or sunday, the area will be almost deserted, its a sight to behold. on a grey winter day is like being the last man on earth.

walk around.

spend one night in old street, hit all the bars you can (open well after 11 pm, only pubs close at that time)

enjoy!

Dec 20, 04 6:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: