Archinect
anchor

New year in London

French

Hi y'all
Well I'm going to stay at some friend's place, But I'd like to have some local hints about the fancy places, events or architectural stuuf that I should check out. Thanks for your help^.

Nov 28, 04 9:35 am
Ludwig

sorry to dissapoint, new year in London is well below standards of other european cities.

Nov 28, 04 9:43 am  · 
 · 
French

too bad I already took my ticket... maybe someone has some more positive experience?

Nov 28, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
bigness

nah, not really, the major frowns upon large gatherings as apparently they "don't have the resources to ensure the public's security".

what a load of bollocks.

anyways, if you've never been take the chance and have a look around, all the usual sight seeing will still be available!

Nov 28, 04 10:32 am  · 
 · 
French

I've been there twice before, but it's been a while... So I guess if even if ther's nothing cool to do on new years eve ther'll be tons of modern architecture to visit during daytime? Could some of you list some of the new stuff in the past three years? The last new sutff I saw was the Tate...

Nov 28, 04 10:42 am  · 
 · 
French

Sorry for the typing...

Nov 28, 04 10:42 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Buildings:
- Swiss Re Tower AKA 'the Gherkin' by Foster and Partners
- Laban Centre by Herzog and De Meuron
- London Metropolitan University by Libeskind
- New subway stations along the jubilee line extension
- Floral street footbridge by Wlikinson Eyre

Exhibitions:
- Eyes, Lies and Illusions at the Hayward Gallery
- Libeskind Exhibition at the Barbican

As for New Years eve i don't know what kind of stuff you and your pal are into but there sure will be some cool bars and clubs to go to, just make sure you book now so you can get in. have a good time

Nov 28, 04 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
French

Thanks doberman. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Any hints about nice clubs to go to (both architecturally and "party wise" places) are welcome too.

Nov 28, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

If I were in London for New Year's i'd probably go to a restaurant somewhere on Upper Street or Hoxton and then to Plastic People in Shoreditch, small club, uninteresting architecturally speaking but usually full of cool people and with a good mix of music. then you'll probably be so wasted you'll find people to hang out with and drift somewhere in an after hours bar or private party nearby. try and make some firm plans for the begining of the night i.e book a restaurant and a club night (say until 4-5 in the morning) and then play the rest by ear, impromptu parties are always the best in my opinion. be ready to spend a bit of cash as partying in london doesn't come cheap unfortunately... have fun.

Nov 28, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

If you decide to go down that route try and get to Garry's on Kingsland Road after the club, it's an after-hours bar that opens late (or early depending how you look at it...) located on the top floor of an office building in a private appartment. i don't have the exact address but there will be a some people lining up outside to get in so you should have no problem finding it.

Nov 28, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
French

Thanks Doberman, I'll try to get there if I manage not to get too drunk. We'll probably start the dinner at my friend's place (we'll bring some french food and wine...) and then go out to a club. I don't know which one yet. Or we'll get some info on a private party which I agree would be the best. Thanks for everything.

Nov 28, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Across from the gherkin is the Lloyds of London building which I always though was cool but didn’t realize was so beautiful until I saw it up close. There is also a nice Richard Rodgers project near by with cool, high-tech glass elevators.

Nov 28, 04 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

almost forgot Foster's controversial wobbly millenium bridge but maybe you've seen it already...

Nov 30, 04 4:32 am  · 
 · 
French

nope, not yet. Last time I was in London was like four years ago I think. So I'lll have plenty to see. Actually, you now what? A city guide feature would be a great addition to archinect. Probably a lot of work too but since there are so much of us all over the world, I guess we could all contribute and give a few adresses of our own...That'll be cool.

Nov 30, 04 5:46 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

french,
try to visit the V&A (victoria & albert) museum... they recently opened their new architecture gallery...
and just so that you know- on new years eve, the tube runs until 2:30am (normally midnight)... quite handy.

any londoners: do they not have fireworks, other hoo-haa, etc around westminster on new years?

Nov 30, 04 6:20 am  · 
 · 
doberman

is it not running all night for new Year's actually?

Nov 30, 04 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

the mayor is still on negotiations with the tube workers. The idea is to have it running all night for that date, but is not secure yet.

Nov 30, 04 8:11 am  · 
 · 
French

Sounds like this is already better than paris to me.

Nov 30, 04 10:12 am  · 
 · 
French

I won't let this thread die... I know whenever it leaves the first page nobody looks at it anymore. Cmon people, I know there are londoners browsing! Help your European fellow architect! Remember the "entente cordiale"?

Dec 2, 04 10:55 am  · 
 · 
doberman

one thing you should do if the weather's clear is go on the London Eye, the big Ferris wheel by the river. It's a bit pricey but you'll see the whole of london from the the sky which is a pretty amazing feeling. you'll need to book in advance though.

Dec 3, 04 4:40 am  · 
 · 
epple

Depending on how long your are in London for you should really consider heading up to Scotland, for new years eve (Hogmanay), Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have massive street parties on and there are a whole host of other smaller street parties doted around these cities. Start speaking to some local people and get invited back to a jumping house party that finishes some time on the 3rd...

As for the architecture you could have a look at Enric Miralles new Scottish Parliament, which is beautiful.

Dec 3, 04 8:10 am  · 
 · 
rupa

if you want to see Libeskind's London Met. get in touch with them beforehand as they do not let people walk in. and for architecture exhibitions/talks and similar get on the Bartlett mailing list, it's quite extensive.

Dec 3, 04 8:11 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

epple - are you in Scotland? What's the job situation like?

Dec 3, 04 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Ditto the Hogmanay. Yeah, so it's not that close to London, but REALLY, you're asking for New Year's, this is the place. Go to Glasgow. It can be a blast. Go to the Mackintosh, hook up with some students so you can get invited along, and go out in the streets. Strangers invite you into their houses for treats and drinks. It's like nothing else!

Dec 3, 04 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
benj

French, without a doubt new year's will be better in london than in paris, so don't be disheartened, the french do a lot of things very well, but celebrating new year's is not one of them in my experience. i was in paris last year, and it all seemed very promising, come midnight everyone disappeared

Dec 16, 04 8:24 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks for your comment benj. I'm excited about going back to london for a couple of days anyway (which I could stay longer but I have too much work). So anybody has any hints this week?

Dec 23, 04 4:50 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Obvioulsy there's H&dM Tate Modern too if you havnt been there and the London Eye is well worth a look engineering / structural wise. There was a good Archigram exhibiton on towards the end of the summer I dont know if that is still on and unfortunatley I cant remember where either but the website should shine some light.

Dec 23, 04 8:33 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

it started off with London now we are talking up Scotland. You may as well throw in Wales and Ireland and you have the complete package.

Ludwig said 'new year in London is well below standards of other european cities.'

I say - London is well below standards of other european cities.

Dec 23, 04 9:04 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

hey, if you need a new years date, my ex just broke up with her boyfriend...she's nice and quite beautiful.

an accountant...but with a personality (lol) and a sense of style.

i'd take her out, but i'm in toronto...and london is a pretty penny from the t-dot.

Dec 23, 04 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

BOTS,

good point.

Dec 23, 04 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

Sancho Panza at "The End" New years eve special.

Went to their christmas cracker last weekend adn it was the best club I have been to since 1992. Great crowd, alot of older ravers.

great music
dancing til 7am then sitting up til 11am talking smack and drinking booze shakes.

www.sanchpanza.org

not for the feint of hearted.

If you are going to tramp it out in hoxton then there is the Hoxton Apocalypse, £30 tickets for 7 venues and the streets surrounding them.

Personally I have no idea what I am doing yet.

maybe a country weekend up North.

maybe a portishead tastic time in Bristol.

Maybe london

or maybe jump ship to paris!

The main reason that london is sub par is that they have shyed awawy from big crushes of people in Trafalgar square and fireworks etc since the millenium,

but the tubes will be runnning all night (unless the buggers go on strike)

so there may well be a circle line party,

thats basically a club on a tube train,

Or if Reclaim the Beach are throwing it down then thats the best place to keep cool calm and collected infront of the royal festival hall with 200-500 other architects and hippies and assorted homeless people with knives.

Dec 23, 04 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

or Edinburgh or Glasgow for some stright talking whisky drinking snogging strangers on the street action!

Dec 23, 04 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
French

Hi ya'll
Just a quick post to thank everybody (especially doberman and JB). Going to London is always a surprise, it is so close geographically and yet so far away from the lifestyle we have here. I went to the barbican center for the first time and I was amazed by it. I got a book about the building from the bookshop. Sometimes I whish something like the barbican center could have happened for the Les Halles competiton but I guess the whole story is completely different.
I missed the sanchopanza party since the crowd i was with didn't feel like going there (too bad). It's ok though, we got drunk on champagne at my friends place. I recomend the Sanderson hotel's bar by Starck for a cocktail, it's a

Jan 3, 05 6:28 am  · 
 · 
French

Hi ya'll
Just a quick post to thank everybody (especially doberman and JB). Going to London is always a surprise, it is so close geographically and yet so far away from the lifestyle and urban forms we have here. I went to the barbican center for the first time and I was amazed by it. I got a book about the building from the bookshop. Sometimes I whish something like the barbican center could have happened for the Les Halles competiton but I guess the whole story is completely different.
I missed the sanchopanza party since the crowd i was with didn't feel like going there (too bad). It's ok though, we got drunk on champagne at my friends place. I recomend the Sanderson hotel's bar by Starck for a cocktail, it's a very succesful design. I also went to the Big Chill on brick lane which is a cool bar. Saw the Gerkhin , it's not as ugly as I thought and the entrance is actually quite nice. The ondulated metal sheets on the core are beautiful.
Well i think that's it. How was your NYE?

Jan 3, 05 6:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: