http://www.feralhouse.com/newloc.html

Nov 27, 04 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

That sounds cool. Mayhem + Sheeps head = Mayhem and hospital \M/

Nov 29, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
.nl

Only read it once so far but The Bonfire of the vanities is definately a classic

Also anything by Hunter S., Bukowski and every other book involving loads of booze, drugs and dodgy women

Nov 30, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

Fire and Memory: On Architecture and Energy
-by Luis Fernndez-Galiano, Gina Cario (Translator)

Inside Architecture
-by Vittorio Gregotti

Shape of Time: Remarks on the History of Things
-by G.A. Kubler

Le Modulor and Modulor 2 [ENGLISH EDITION]
-by Le Corbusier

Nov 30, 04 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Clancy Pearson

jay... buy the book and get awesome...

"Rev up a chainsaw. Flick on the blender and a couple of power drills. Stand directly behind an F-16, right before it blasts off into space. A jackhammer should do to set the tempo. Now get down on all fours, contort your face into the wickedest grimace you can muster, and scream until your vocal chords collapse. If all of this makes you feel just the least bit ridiculous, hit yourself in the face with a roofing hammer until you can't laugh anymore. There now. Listen carefully. This is what Black Metal sounds like.
Black Metal's "medieval Satanism" is the logical fulfillment of Christianity's worst apocalyptic fantasies, or at least the ones the media have irresponsibly legitimized. It is rebellion taken to its natural conclusion ... destruction for its own sake, an adrenalized nihilism that revels in every toppled steeple. Lords of Chaos … lets the genre's more luminous personalities speak for themselves, stringing countless first-hand interviews into a seamless chronological narrative. It's a task few other writers could have pulled off, whether geeked-up music journalists or academic outsiders. Surprisingly balanced, exhaustingly thorough, and-lest we forget that a lot of these folks come across more like professional wrestlers than terrorists-darkly humorous, it is a comprehensive look at a phenomenon that's rarely been scrutinized."
- Vor Tru

Nov 30, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
v vaughn

killing time -- caleb carr

stranger in a strange Land -- robert a. heinlein

why we buy -- paco underhill

Nov 30, 04 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
JordanP

For those that are interested in privacy rights and updating yourself on our current technological wonders that continually help the Panopticon to destroy our rights, I would highly recommend Welcome To The Machine by Derrick Jensen. It is sold through amazon.

Dec 2, 04 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

JordanP, not a slam, but - I find it ironic that someone who's worried about technology enabling invasion of our privacy rights is recommending that you buy a book about said topic at AMAZON!!

Buy it at Powells.com or your local neighborhood book retailer, for heaven's sake.

Dec 2, 04 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
JordanP

Hey I said it was sold through amazon. I am not teaching a course on paranoia! If you are concerned about the "security" of Amazon, you should worry about any online bookstore. Just because it isnt big and coportate wont save your privacy from the patriot act. I should have said you can read about it on Amazon. I have read several posts recently on this site about Panopticon developments, and having recently read it, would definetly encourage anyone to read it. I am not sure of its availablility in local retailers, but the publishers are Chelsea Green Publishing Company, which have published several good books. I got it from (gasp!) the Green Festival in DC.

Dec 3, 04 10:04 am  · 
 · 
surface

Hunger - Knut Hamsun
The Story of O - Pauline Reage
The Story Girl - Lucy Maude Montgomery
Fashion At The Edge: Spectacle, Modernity, and Deathliness
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

And Zoe Coombes: I was in a bar the other night waiting for my boyfriend and this drunk, deathly pale, skeletally thin man sat down next to me, ordered Makers' on the rocks, then turned to me and said: "PHILIP. K. DICK." Then he turned away again.

Dec 3, 04 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Yes....Philip K. Dick. 'UBIK' had me completely whacked out when I read it in high school. When 'Do Androids Dream...' became 'Blade Runner' I, in my teenage self-centeredness, thought only Ridley Scott and I knew what a genious this guy was. I had never heard his name anywhere else.

Now we have 'Total Recall', 'Minority Report', that dreck with Ben Affleck. Ol' Phil would be a rich man if he were alive and sane. And the inspiration he might have gleaned from this era in politics and technology! The mind reels!

By the way, I have heard over and over the the bios are no good. Stick to his own writing.

By the way, again. Though I am sometimes drunk, somewhat pale and thin, I have never ordered Makers on the rocks in NY.

Dec 3, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
gringodms50

quite simply .... i am fed up by the koolhaas junkspace text which smacks me in harvard guide to shopping, content etc.. and evey magazine... i don't intend on re-reading it but somehow i end up doing so...

Dec 3, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
e909

1/ Who's Robin Evans?

2/ I've never read any toilet paper.

3/ But, really... why read a book again? Either it was good enough to read the first time, or it wasn't... read the first time. (my philosophy of reading there)

4/ I've read books to kids more than once, but that context is quite divergent...

5/ well, reference books, but again, this is a divergent (implied) context...

6/ yes, newspapers, but different editions/issues...

7/ and answer honestly, how often did you reread that cereal box?

8/ Pattern Language - Christopher Alexander. Okaaaaaaayyyy.
Your assignments, if you choose to accept them:
New thread. Most overrated publication.
New thread. Least decipherable suido-intellectual emission

9/ 1.2 uses for a dead religious tome.

9.5 + 0.5/ 415 F.... New thread. publication most deserving of immolation.

11/ "PHILIP. K. DICK." He has/had acolytes. But I don't drink.

Dec 5, 04 5:33 am  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

you gotta get:

considering rem koolhaas and oma

Dec 6, 04 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
psychotropism

architectural graphic standards is about the most useful book. you can get a used copy, since it doesn't change that often.

i guess you can check out most of the above books at a library, at least the classics, and then decide if you want to buy them later. frankly i'd save the money and buy a book that you want to keep.

functional things get used often, so to begin a discourse on books being re-read... e909 has a good point.

a fry reglet catalog, hafele or steelcase catalog is also very useful, and can sometimes be had for free by impersonating or being honest. no need to reinvent everything every time, and it's like playing with LEGOS.

Dec 7, 04 3:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: