Archinect
anchor

Interventions...new styles meeting old traditions in NYC

pcoy

Taking a course entitled, Old Buildings, New Forms and am trying to find some unique / peculiar examples of architectural reuse projects in and around New York City. Thus far, we have taken a look at architectural interventions at the MET, the Morgan Library, Pratt, PS1, etc… basically, projects that began with existing structures and either grew in, or out, from there.

SO, two questions… First, does anyone know of any less well-known intervention projects in and around NYC that would be worth checking out?? And (for the sake of discussion) how does the general architectural community feel about adaptive reuse projects? For a while now (I’m still a student, so my perspective may be skewed) I have felt like there is somewhat of a divide between architects who practice historic preservation and/or adaptive reuse and those who focus primarily on new construction, particularly within the United States. If architects had the choice (assuming economics provided such opportunities…maybe someday), would one rather build new or use what we already have? I suppose most of this is contextual, but I’m really curious to know what, in general, people feel about historic architecture in contemporary environments.

Apr 8, 11 10:23 am
Medusa

Pretty much all of Manhattan is an exercise in adaptive reuse since buildings are constantly being chopped up, renovated and reinhabited. You should spend a day exploring old NY (South St. Seaport, Wall St, Stone St, etc). Also read "Delirious New York."

Apr 9, 11 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Have worked on jobs where facade was landmarked and essentially everything including structure was replaced, that is NYC in a nutshell. Often the old is way over zoning so you don't want to loose the square footage so you rebuild everything without making it a new construction project.

Look up the limelite, was a club in a church, and now a mall in the same old church.

SoHo, Tribeca and Gansveoort area worth checking out.

The challenges and technical know for reconstruction is far more challenging and interesting than typical new. You have to learn things about means and methods 100 years ago and figure out ways to keep the building occupied and safe while you take a whole floor out or something, so get into construction logistics, jacks and adjustable lally columns and shoring design all become extra tasks to execute.

Apr 9, 11 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

How could I forget... check out the Hearst building.

Apr 10, 11 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

pcoy.
i worked on a rather huge intervention project.. it connects four buildings at the ground floor for the new school/parsons.  the project is on the corner of 12th and 5th ave.
the firm also did the project across the street which has a similar intervention.

Apr 11, 11 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Check out in Detail: Building in Existing Fabric from your library if you can.

Apr 11, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

This is one of my favorite adaptive re-use projects in NYC. I think my appreciation comes from the idea that this is obviously not a seamless combination.

I refer to them lovingly as "tick buildings."

SHoP Architects, 9th Avenue, Meatpacking District
Photo courtesy: Chris Whitis & Brian Phelps, Sitephocus

Apr 11, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

-the high line?  (not a building, exactly...)
also, many office buildings have been retrofitted for residential use in the financial district... surely there are many issues in negotiating such conversions.

Apr 11, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
pcoy

Thanks everyone for responding!   I think the hardest part about finding any one interesting project in this city is that they seem to exist--in numbers--on every block, some successful and some not. 
Though, It has certainly been interesting to look at the various neighborhoods throughout Manhattan and noticing how each distinct one has slowly adapted their respective historic fabric to contemporary uses and needs (cast-iron facades, industrial lofts, water-front warehouses, etc...), sort of inspiring. 

@larslarson, that intervention happened to be part of a class discussion a couple of weeks ago, and although I have not yet found the time to visit first hand, I can't wait to see what it's like in person. 

@j.james: that's an awesome picture, beautifully sums up the relationship between old and new, especially in such a successful way.  In our recent class discussions, we have come to call these types of projects "parasites," but I think "tic" sounds better. 

@elinor: I'm currently using the High-line as a precedent for an adaptive reuse scheme I'm working on for the Curran O'Toole building in the West Village.  I feel it is one of the best adaptive-reuse projects in the city, and, a wonderful bridge between landscapes and architecture...perhaps one that should be used as a case study for more projects throughout New York and beyond. 
I think the project I will be exploring for the project I first sought advice for, is going to be the Riverside Piers, circa 70th and Riverside Park.  Not so much architectural intervention, but more of a model in-line with the High-line... Incorporating historic infrastructure with contemporary function. 

In any case, thank you all for responding!  Some really great projects came up that otherwise I would not have noticed.  Much appreciated. 

Apr 14, 11 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure exactly how relevant it is to your project, but be sure to check out Laurie Anderson, Trisha Brown and Gordon Matta-Clark's work in New York in the 70s. They made some great interpretative performances and physical interventions around the city; especially Matta-Clark. A good example of his work is Days End - where he cut a hole in a warehouse near the piers of New York .

Apparently this was what made him leave the country as the Port Authority sued him for serious amounts of money.
Another interesting anecdote I came across recently was from James Attlee (who's just released a book on Matta-Clark). Through his research he's good friends of the family and went to speak with Gordon's relative (I forget which, but his cousin was killed by a collapsing building and his brother committed suicide, so there's two ruled out) in New York some time ago. Apparently on entering his apartment, he was led through to a back room where this person had put a hole through his wall and accessed the roof of an adjacent building. On being asked why by Attlee, he simply said "Because this place does not exist". It was a roof of a building with no ownership, front door or records in City Hall. The guy was awarded ownership of the building after nobody claimed it after a few years.
These little hidden spaces found through brutal interventions would be a great topic to see some more research on (though maybe not relevant, as I say!).

Apr 18, 11 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: