Archinect
anchor

March or different design field?

MINWORKSHOP

Hi,

I need some advise.
I'm a 33 years old, graduated with BArch. I have been working for an architecture office for 9 years as a design architect/associate, and built a few high end projects from schematic to ca.
I've always wanted to go back to school to further my education. Recently I've been thinking about going to school for industrial design, instead of MArch.
I'm not looking for career change. I love architecture, and I want to have my own architecture/design office someday But judging from the work that I have seen from Sciarc USC, UCLA students, I just don't see the point of spending another 2 years of more architecture.
Are there advantages of having indstrial design degree on top of my architectural skill/expereince? Should i just stick with MArch?
Thanks

Apr 6, 11 9:12 pm
burningman

What will your MArch do for you that your BArch can't, Mr. 33 year-old?

Apr 6, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Well.. i was curious about the same thing. Wouldnt I be more marketable, if I have another skill set that can be combined with architecture, rather than more architecture degree that would put myself into a pigeon hole? May be I'm missing something..
btw, am i too old to go back to school??

Apr 7, 11 1:47 am  · 
 · 
FW

I'm older than you and I'm going back to school. As long as you aren't insecure about being older, or condescending about it, no one will care.

Apr 7, 11 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
wrought.n

1. You are definitely NOT too old

2. You would probably be more marketable, as an employee or self-employed architect, if you diversify your education and experiences. Speaking with my own personal ambitions in mind, I think it is more beneficial to pursue a post-professional degree that might offer you a chance to learn and get involved in another side of architecture, like urbanism, real estate development, or business.

However, half(if not more) of the reason to go back to school is for all the other benefits aside from the actual education, such as all the contacts and opportunities you would otherwise not have. With that said, your career will benefit greatly even if you pursue a MArch, especially considering you are most likely in LA and would be exposed to so many people and opportunities that will push your career very far.

Apr 8, 11 8:59 am  · 
 · 
burningman

Given that you already have a BArch, it makes no sense to me for a mid 30s year old practitioner to go back to to get an MArch. You will be way way ahead of your early to late twenties classmates who may not have an architecture background.

Sounds like you want a long vacation instead. It's fun to take a break from work, but if you are asking for marketability or VALUE from another 2 years, there's no question that an MBA or a one year MSRED would have way more value.

It just seems from your question that you don't know what you want, that's where it sounds a little troubling.

Apr 8, 11 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: