Archinect
anchor

Speer Me

headyshreddy

Yesterday I went to an art exhibition, gross, and after striking conversation this wiry old gal asked me who my favorite architect was. I told her the truth, Albert Speer. "Who's that?" she asked. I replied "Hitler's architect" in a quiet manner, knowing that the real history behind their relationship was more than just a "kings castle".

The lady snapped "You have got to be ashamed of yourself! My family was the victim of those people and your clueless mind somehow finds it fascinating. I hope your architectural future crumbles for having such thoughts"

WTF lady. Anyone else ever been grilled like this before?

Apr 6, 11 4:13 am
jbushkey

Are you just trolling or do you really have that little tact?

Apr 6, 11 9:12 am  · 
 · 

i would have thought that is exactly the type of response you expected from such a statement.

Apr 6, 11 10:27 am  · 
 · 
med.

I try to avoid stupid ass people like that - you know the "know-it-all pseudo-intellectual, disenfranchized western liberal" who can't wait to snap at someone for being "offended."

At the same time - no one knows who Albert Speer is - not even most Architects unfortunately. you should probably expect someone to get bent out of shape if you said he was "Hitler's Architect."

Apr 6, 11 11:13 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

That's the problem med. no one knows who Speer, but hitler rightfully carries a stigma.

What would you expect from someone whose family was murdered by your Idols boss? It would have been funny if that lady cold cocked you ;)

Apr 6, 11 11:19 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Are we not forgetting some things here?

Do your architectural work not use steel? polyurethane? fire-retardants? high-performance glues? Do your buildings not rely on a variety of electronics that control lighting and climate? Do they not require electricity? And what about the signage, billboards and vinyl wrappers that go on these buildings? What about the photographs used to promote these buildings?

Ever use common household appliance? Ever drive a German car? Ever buy any European products? Watch a movie?

Because all of things come from companies that did horrible things during World War II.

Bayer, Afga, RHI AG, BASF, Seimens, Volkwagon et cetera.

Apr 6, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

IBM would be one of those et cetera's St. George mentions

Apr 6, 11 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
med.

BMW too

Apr 6, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yeah well, Mies did conceptual design work for the Nazis, Eric Mendelsohn assisted the army in designing weapons to incinerate civilians, and Philip Johnson propagandized for the Reich as they rolled into Poland. Terragni, Eisenman's favorite, was probably not much different than Speer. And that's without extrapolating this sort of well documented ethical flexibility within the profession up to the present.

Just in the last few weeks, we find that AECOM had one of the worst Qaddafi sons on the payroll... and how long the torrid affair between signature architects and China might have continued if one of their buddies hadn't become one of the tens/hundreds of thousands of dissidents detained for their political beliefs?

All this to say: if one must conflate ethics with invention and influence when evaluating historic architects, there aren't many folks that will be allowed to admire.

Apr 6, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

What is so good in Speer's architecture anyway? Oversized neoclassicism?

Apr 6, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

The good/bad part of Speer's architecture is the emotion he is able to inflict on the people using his buildings...for instance the old Nazi Chancellory building is absolutely imposing...its a building you want to stay away from, yet if you have to go in..it shows you who is boss.

Apr 6, 11 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: