Archinect
anchor

Suggestions on how to move from LA to Montreal?

mengus

Hey All,

So I was just accepted (via email) to McGill University's School of Architecture MArch 2 program and am in the process of figuring out the logistics of moving. Have any of you made this treck? If so, how did you go about moving your belongings and what are things that I should be aware of during this process? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Mengus

Apr 5, 11 5:14 am
Lian Chikako Chang

Congrats! Montreal and McGill are both wonderful. Save up some money for good raingear and winter clothing (which you should buy in Montreal, not LA).

Make sure you have a list of what is packed in your various boxes (which of course will be well labeled), no matter how you decide to move them, just in case there are customs issues!

And you can use McGill's classified ads (http://www.mcgill.ca/classified/) to find an apartment. I vote for Plateau or Mile End! Or the McGill ghetto if being very close to school (reducing the commute, which can be burdensome in the winter) is your main priority.

:)

Apr 5, 11 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Pack a suitcase and go. You don't need all your shit with you. Get a place that's mostly furnished. Montreal's pretty good for finding semi furnished units (especially around McGill).

If you must lug 5 boxes 5000 miles, have them shipped via an airline. You could drive to Montreal, but you will probably die in a tornado while crossing Kansas.

I second looking into Plateau or Mile End neighborhoods. I would skip the McGill getto. Too many snotty 18 year old Americans running around drunk all the time.

Apr 5, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Rusty are you telling me beer isn't mandatory with breakfast in Montreal?? Who knew?

Apr 6, 11 9:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: