Archinect
anchor

Part Time Study

determined

I graduated 2008, in a Automotive CAD design course at a University in Birmingham and now currently working in the Aerospace industry as a Design Engineer and have plenty of employers looking to employ somebody of my calibre. However now I am starting to have second thoughts in my career, I am great at what I do, and I am always looking to do more than expected however the politics within the business are really starting to get on my nerves and I don't wish to continue to work in such an environment. Talking to other people within the industry also I understand that this culture is everywhere and I am thinking about going to university to do something else.

This has brought me to look into architecture, now I have been thinking about this for long time and looking at the possibility where I can work for myself i find very appealing however I understand that this will only come with time and experience.

I have tried to search into the best degree possible, now looking at Nottingham university which is commutable from Birmingham depending on the time lessons would start. However they don't seem to do Architecture BArch part time, i don't think it is really any point doing anything other than this degree. Does anyone have any advice about perhaps doing the Architecture degree in Birmingham

Does everyone that graduates from architecture get a job, or are they one of the many people who have graduated and can't get a job and are unemployed.

What modules are taking on the courses, is there one on structural calcs, cad design, archecture history, ?!?!?!?

What does the final year project involve?

Mar 28, 11 4:14 pm
leetecture

not everybody who graduated from architecture school gets a job.
i can tell you that for sure.

and try to contact the school for programs, every school has different programs.

Mar 28, 11 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

a) not only is politicking inherent in every industry, it is especially so in architecture (a service profession) in which landing a project (and thus putting food in your mouth) often entails more politicking/networking/shmoozing than it does having a great idea. I am not exaggerating. If that is the reason you want to leave your field, forget it kid, the grass ain't greener.

b) architecture is going through tremendously challenging times at the moment. For perspective, for much of last year the architecture unemployment rate in Chicago was 40-50%. Chicago has something like 2 million or so inhabitants - this is not small town stuff. And that 40-50% is counting ALL types & flavors of architects - including those with years of experience and a license, who have also been getting the axe. It never was a particularly stable profession and it is less so now. I don't know what the outlook is in England but here in the States most people are predicting at least a few more years of "slump" in the construction industry. That is bad news for us architects. So to answer your last question... no, not every arch grad gets a job. In fact lately it appears that few have.

c) if you already have a bachelor's you do not need a second bachelor's. There is already a course of study created for people like you and it is called a Master's, and it is shorter. Dunno what the rules are that govern licensure requirements in the UK but check to see what kind of degree will be required for licensure - it is likely not another 5 years of study (which is a B.Arch). That said I only know of one part-time program in the States and it takes much longer than a regular full-time course of study.

Mar 28, 11 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

what manta said.

Also, I think London (at least) would give Chicago run for its money in terms of architectural collapse.

Also, ARB (UK registration body for architects) makes NCARB look like easiest test ever administered.

Mar 29, 11 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Ana Mitch

Hello there new here.. well you could try other jobs

Mar 29, 11 4:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: