Archinect
anchor

Go green!!!

forumworker

Hey

IF any of you have any simple idea to go green that you follow in your day-day life, please let me know.

Thanks

Mar 28, 11 9:28 am
drums please, Fab?

if it's yellow let it mellow
if it's brown flush it down !!

you're welcome

Mar 28, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

don't dilly-dally in the shower ~ keep it all business

your goal is 'quick in, quick out' so just get in, get wet, get lathered, get rinsed off, then get out. total time taken 3 minutes max saving thousands of gallons of water per year.

Mar 28, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

But isn't the dilly-dallying the best part?

Mar 29, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

You are so spoiled to think you need a shower every day anyways. Sheesh! If you must shower, bring the dishes in there too, save water that way.

Mar 29, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

not if your dilly-dallying hurts mother earth

:(

if it's cold, put on a sweater
if it's hot, strip down to your grundies

but please, please, for the sake of the climate, DO NOT heat your house higher than 62°F (16.67°C) or cool lower than 82°F (27.78°C) lest ye cause the melting of the polar ice caps resulting in the entire state of florida to be under 20 feet (6.096 meters) of water!

Mar 29, 11 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

baby steps, opti-straw

my daily showers, yes, are a luxury. but i work up quite a sweat turning my compost pile, tending my vegetable garden, and pushing my human-powered lawn mower.

Mar 29, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Plastic grocery bags. They're tiny, hold almost nothing, completely unstable, hard to carry, rip easily, don't decompose and we pay for them on a weekly basis.

They are the stupidest invention ever and I can't imagine why they ever caught on.

Buy 4 reusable cloth bags for $1 a piece and they'll last you years, fit more groceries per bag, stand up on their own, be easier to carry, and won't clog up our landfills. If everyone bought their own bags, our collective grocery bills would go down slightly.

There is no benefit to disposable plastic grocery bags. It's pure American laziness at its finest.

Mar 29, 11 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I recently gave up on paper towels in the kitchen, except for cleaning. I used to use 3 rolls per week. Now I am down to 1 for the cleaning deal, keeping around cloth hand towels.

One of my problems about taking bags to the grocery stores, is that I keep forgeting them at home, and then I use the grocery bags in the bathroom trash and for cat poop clean up etc. I feel guilty about that too, cleaning the cat stuff... one bag a day extra in the trash.

I always combine my errands to save gas, and my time.

Mar 29, 11 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

What if we reuse the plastic grocery bags, in lieu of buying fresh new trash bags for instance? I scoop cat poop too. Sometimes we forget that a little bit of plastic brings us a lot of cleanliness and hygiene that we would cause a lot of other messy problems if we didn't have them. Just wish they didn't last forever. Don't we have the means to create disposable bags out of plant cellulose that can safely and quickly decompose yet? Waiting...

Mar 29, 11 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"cool lower than 82°F (27.78°C) lest ye"

Funny, my new air conditioner wastes far less electricity at 68 degrees than my previous air conditioner did at 76 degrees.

Mar 29, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

watch the movie "No Impact Man" - there are lots of good ideas in there
link

Mar 29, 11 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

I tend to agree about the temperature issue.

You really shouldn't be picking arbitrary numbers out of thin air or repeating what you have heard elsewhere unless you know the exact configurations of your space loads and equipment.

The key lesson: don't be a wasteful slob if you don't need to.

Mar 29, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

My most effective current green strategy is to be poor.

Carbon footprint? Carbon's too expensive man! I get by on eating other people's tossed away plastic bags. The ones with cat poo in them I leave for the weekend feast.

Mar 29, 11 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
forumworker

thank you all for the welcomes.
I am glad to be here.
Online Pharmacy CR - TopPharmacy.com

Mar 30, 11 6:58 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

you're welcome

forumworker-is-an-asshole-4-spam.com

i've changed my lawn to what's known as a 'freedom lawn'. no, this ain't freedom fries or anything silly like that. what you do is do nothing: no fertilizer, no weed killer, no water, no worries. just mow regularly and let whatever comes up come up. sprinkle a little of that compost you've been making over the top once or twice a year and you're good to go.

Mar 30, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: