Archinect
anchor

Any suggestion to create poetic rendering in PS like these?

cmrhm

I like these European style photo montage in PS. Strong in idea, minimize in detail. How to start to do such renderings, any good suggestions or links?

Mar 26, 11 1:58 pm
cmrhm
http://www.studiogang.net/projects_e7.htm
Mar 26, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

I guess you can, 1. Model simple massings in Sketchup. 2. Output to monochromatic image 3. Add details and colors in Photoshop. or 1. SketchUp, 2. Print the image. 3. Sketch details 4. Scan it back into photoshop. 5. Retouch in Photoshop.

Apr 11, 11 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Looks like renderings from 15+ yeas ago.

1.  Basic 3D, probably SU
2.  Skip the advanced lighting, keep as flat as possible (no depth, 'cold' feeling)
3.  Oversized/out-of-scale textures
4.  Poorly integrated people

Overall, I think they look pretty bad (personally).  Kinda like they either #1 couldn't afford someone that knew what they were doing or #2 someone in their office is doing them, but really doesn't know what they are doing/didn't have time to make someone decent.

Apr 12, 11 8:58 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

trace i think they are supposed to be that way...

not all renderings are photorealistic.  some people like the "collage" aesthetic.  those are from studio gang.  they can definitely afford someone.  
Apr 12, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 
architerp

They are supposed to be that way.  It emphasizes the general ideas, the movement, the spaces, the color, and feel.  These are great.  And they probably took two interns a day to produce.  Photorealistic renderings should be saved as an endpoint to schematic design - once the idea has been brought closer to reality.

On a photorealistic sidenote - use with caution and throw a disclaimer on it that the final building will not be exactly like the rendering.  We produced a rendering with grey shade of brick that doesn't exist and were held to finding it, resulting in a change order.

Apr 12, 11 10:04 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

here's an image from a drawing i did in grad school (a plan) utilizing a similar technique:

[img]http://saurman.greendesigncollective.com/files/gimgs/3_a101-detail.jpg[/img]
Apr 12, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

wft

Apr 12, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

While the Studio Gang images aren't my favorite examples by any means, I really prefer the collage effect.  Photorealistic renderings, in addition to taking much more time, require the designer to have determined all the details of the design and reflect a finished product.  They also lead clients, users, consultants and anyone else viewing them to make assumptions about details and focus on lighting, etc. that may not be entirely accurate.  Putting together a good collage is an art in itself, but I think it allows those creating it and reviewing it to focus on broader themes and ideas, which is much more appropriate during most of the design process.

As far as actually putting it together, I wouldn't shy away from incorporating some hand sketches if you're comfortable with that, combining that with some basic digital renderings, photographs and entourage (please shy away from balloon-toting children and use something a bit more realistic).  The best collages, in my mind, combine media, maybe ranges of color (b&w, color...), and so on without looking sloppy.  This can be done in Photoshop, a vector-based program (including some drafting software), or even entirely by hand.
Apr 12, 11 10:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't forget the kid with balloon. developers want the family feel in their renderings. not some hipster goofuses.

Apr 12, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
architerp

a flock of birds or a zeppelin adds a nice touch, as well

Apr 12, 11 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: