Archinect
anchor

Graduate School..... Earthquake and Volcano Disaster Mitigation

Sarasdewi

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a Graduate School for Architecture that has a special focus on Earthquake and Volcano disaster mitigation?

Thanks so much
Saras

Mar 26, 11 12:11 pm
Token AE

My experience is only in the US school system, so take the following FWIW:

Seismic mitigation was one of the things that I was looking for when I was applying for this coming fall.

The only place that even had a course in something like this was Berkeley, but the course info made it seem like a very dumbed down version of their more well known civil-structural courses.

I know many universities offer seismic design and management on the engineering side. You may want to consider that if Berkeley doesn't do it for you and you are interested in the US.

If you are open to school in other countries, just pick any in an earthquake zone. I'd imagine Japan has excellent programs, and based on my encounters when I lived there, South America has good ones as well (Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil).

Mar 26, 11 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
barefoot

Oxford Brookes university for disaster mitigation. The focus of this program is not in the technical aspect as much as understanding cultural and social aspects that relate to such work. If you look at writings of Ian Davis, or read through Vernacular architecture for the 21st century- you'll understand the problems currently the mitigation efforts are facing - i.e. how its not working. Nabeel Hamdi is another person to look up.

Berkeley, I thought would be good as well - tho the architecture program seems quite typical. online atleast. gluck

Mar 26, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
ka em

Hi Sarasdewi,

Seeing you are from Indonesia (on your profile...), last I heard there is the very program you are looking for in Yogyakarta (UGM if I'm not mistaken), and most likely at ITB as well.

Another way to really get your hands dirty and feet wet is to get to know someone who work in the field (there's plenty considering what has Indonesia gone through recently in terms of natural disasters) and see if you could intern etc.

@barefoot: it's true that it is the understanding of cultural and social aspects that need to be acquired before anyone could do ANY project in this field. the truth is, architecturally, you will piss everyone off for doing any kind of crazy architecture. the locals will usually know about the land's architecture much better than any outsiders.

Mar 27, 11 3:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: