Archinect
anchor

career disco vs. gsapp summer intro

tcbearth

Hi all,
I'm going to attend GSD's Career Disco or GSAPP's Intro to Arch this summer and I wonder if anyone has strong opinions about the programs. What are the major pros and cons of each program? I'm attending in order to build a strong portfolio for grad school applications and to gain experience with Rhino, CAD, etc, so that way I have a chance at some entry level architecture studio jobs. Which is the better program for achieving both of those goals?

Of course I'd like the program I attend to be intellectually stimulating, but my focus is on getting into a grad school like GSD or GSAPP and to start building a career.

Thanks for any help!

Mar 13, 11 8:40 pm
beezely

I attended Career Disco in 09, and there wasn't work in Rhino/CAD/Revit that summer in the architecture sections. For someone with no background in design and no starting point for a portfolio, it was the jump start I needed. I waited a year and will start the M Arch I at the GSD this fall.

I can't speak to the GSAPP program, but I might suggest choosing the summer program where you'd most like to attend school as a graduate student. I didn't apply to Columbia, but I know the first question on the Harvard application is 'Have you attended Career Discovery?'

Mar 14, 11 10:07 am  · 
 · 
tcbearth

Thanks beezely, mind if I ask you what your background was heading into career disco? age/profession/etc?

Mar 14, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
beezely

I was a Press Secretary on Capitol Hill. Beforehand, I worked in government relations for a consulting firm, mostly in finance. I'm female and 27.

This thread may be useful: http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=105054_0_42_0_C

Mar 14, 11 11:43 am  · 
 · 
lydyl

i am in the same position as tcbearth last year--trying to decide between GSD's career disc and GSAPP's intro to arch for this summer.

i don't have an arch/design background, so would be doing either program to explore arch/design through intense studio work, build up a portfolio if i want to apply to an MArch, get to know some good profs, and to get insight on long-term pragmatic career concerns. GSD's career disc is 6 weeks long versus GSAPP's intro to arch is only really 4 weeks. GSD's website also specifically mentions career advising panels, along with computer workshops. since i have no CAD skills, the computer workshops would probably be helpful for me. the advantage of GSAPP for me is that i currently live in NYC.

anyone who has gone on either career disc or intro to arch who can shed some light for me? thanks in advance!!

Feb 25, 12 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: