Mar 13, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Tobey Maguire?

Mar 13, 11 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

nam...
i'm confused by your comment.. you know he won in 2009 right?

Mar 13, 11 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
led signal light

Hollywood and Zumthor. Demi-Gods. Oh la la!

Mar 13, 11 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

larslars, i did actually have to check...

still, i know kimmelman doesn't vote for the Pritzker (although i don't actually know the process) but i was wondering if this article is a) either the result of Zumthor winning in 2009 (in which case it took a long time to write) or b) pointing to where taste makers still are, in terms of the architecture they like?

meaning a zumthor like/lite person might win?

Mar 13, 11 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

also re: the article i thought two passages noteworthy.
This first wherein Zumthor describes his own work is close to Le Corbusier because we share the same culture,” he wished to “make a design on the scale of Oscar Niemeyer.”

Also, this passage We should force universities to train carpenters and woodworkers and leather workers. Architects all want to be philosophers or artists now. I’m lucky to have had my education, because in the States, especially, you’ve lost contact with the real business of building.”

within the context of threads asking how to reform architecture school...

Mar 13, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
metal

I wonder...

how did Zumthor stay afloat financially if he was doing projects pro-bono.

wife with 2 jobs? after all, she is the director or something of the thermal vals

Mar 13, 11 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I wonder if he watched "Spide man" before he decided to take on the task of designing a house for Toby....and Mrs Spide...

Mar 13, 11 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

I figured this article was to catch up those people interested in LACMA - maybe win some of 'em over so that it can go better this time?

Mar 13, 11 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

We're concerned about Zumthor while Japan Reals? Bruder VS. Cesium?

Mar 13, 11 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thanks for posting this

this articles stokes a recurring career quandary; how to evaluate one's contribution to the field and to society?

when reading this, i cannot help but think of whether holding a line with respect to product and process, of practicing according to one's earnest sensibilities about what should be done for any given project (versus succumbing to the exigencies of the moment) is a better way to contribute to society and to affirm the value of architecture. or is the opposite true? Is it better to slog it out trying to make general building stock just a little better, even if it falls far short of 'Architecture', rather than focused on a few precious jewel boxes which will not have a beneficial effect on nearly as many people?

I don't know that there is a right answer. I go back and forth.

Mar 13, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yes. we are concerned about all of these things.

Mar 13, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

(^ AT J.A.Maud)

Mar 13, 11 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
blah

He has an amazing niche.

Again, the number of Zumthors that the world needs is quite small.

That doesn't mean that the US could use a few though.

He is right about US Architectural Education. It is completely bankrupt at many institutions.

Mar 13, 11 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
blah
“It is the dream of architects, especially the ones who hate their lives, to do just a few things but perfectly, each thing a milestone, so architects envy him,” Sagmeister said

Can this guy read our minds or what?

;-)

Mar 13, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

fade to blackoe

Zumthor made his $$$ by selling copies of his monograph on ebay for $1k +

Mar 13, 11 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mdler...you mean he is pimping his monograph on ebay for $1K+
How long does it take to read such a small book.

Mar 14, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: