Archinect
anchor

proposed Architecture curriculum for a new practice

olaf design ninja

Thread Merger on Education & Practice

The goal is to create a group of individuals that are in the position within the AEC & Real Estate industries to not only design buildings but are capable of constantly re-inventing the method for project delivery without being stagnated by legal formalities. Developers and Contractor (good business people) already do this on a regular basis, they design and build America.

Profession and Licensure:

1 - Engineers ONLY - In short, a professional is required to prepare, review, sign and seal drawings to ensure that the builder creates something based on those drawings that is safe and healthy for the public's use. The professional is liable for their proposed design and ensuring the builder follows the prescribed design. This process requires mathematical verification of adapted prescribed conceptual building details and model codes and controlled site inspections. Engineers do this already. No need for an Architect.

2- Already Licensed Architects could receive a PE license specific to space planning, building technology, and fire safety issues. (PE's are typically either MEP/Sprinkler or Structural, we would just add a new division). The former RA could expand their PE qualifications by taking more exams.

3. Anyone with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture could open an LLC buildilng design firm imediately and offer everything but above mentioned Engineering services. /\ /\ (see points 1 and 2)

Academia:

1 - Two base degress could be offered by the School of Architecture:

Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
Bachelor of Science in Architecture

2 - Both are 4 year programs and both allow most students in the Schools of Liberal Art and Sciences to transfer in easily before Junior year without to much catching up.

3 - Bachelor of Arts in Architecture - is a degree geared towards the historical and theoretical study of architecture. Remove some of the studios and a few technical classes from most schools today and you'd have this degree.

4. Bachelor of Science in Architecture

Assume typical 3 credit hour structuring with the typical 18-19 credit hour architecture semester.

First Year:

6 - English 101
3 - Calculus 101
3 - Physics 101
3 - Chemistry 101
6 - Architectural Technical Representation Methods Levels 1 & 2 -e.g. CAD Drafting, BIM
6 - Architectural Graphic Representation Levels 1 & 2- e.g. Photoshop, Sketch-up, hand sketching
6 - Electives

33 - Total

Second Year:

6 - History of Architecture 1 & 2
6 - Basic Building Technology 1 & 2 – assignments and test include drafting and modeling details for construction
3 - History and Theory of Urban Planning
3 – History and theory of Modern & Contemporary Architecture
3 - Advanced Technical Representation Methods - e.g. 3dMax, Rhino, BIM, Catia, Parametric design
6 -Modeling & Fabrication - e.g. Rhino, Maya, Max, Pro E, Solidworks, CNC machines, lasers, the shop
9 – Electives

36 – Total

Required 1 of 2 Summer Internships at one of the following: Architecture Design firms, Licensed Engineering Firm, Licensed Builder Firm, construction product manufacturing company

Third Year:

6 – Building Systems I & II – mechanical, plumbing, electrical, sprinklers, lighting, etc…
6 – Structural Design I & II
12 – Concept Design Studios – just like the ones we have now
3 – Introduction to Construction Management & Cost Estimating
3 – Construction Means & Methods
3 – Real Estate Development
3 - Elective

36 – Total

Required 1 of 2 Summer Internships at one of the following: Architecture firm (non-licensed), Licensed Engineering Firm, Licensed Builder Firm, construction product manufacturing company

Fourth Year: (all requirements for first 3 years must be complete and only one possible cycle, fall-spring)

12 – Professional Practice Studios – all other classes link into this studio and must inform the studio design project
6 – Advanced Structural Design – assignments and final are analysis of studio design
6 – Advanced Building Systems - assignments and final are analysis of studio design
6 – Advanced Building Technology, Construction Management & Means and Methods - assignments and final are analysis of studio design
3 – Codes and Zoning - 1st pro studio link in
3 - Real Estate Development & Marketing - 2nd pro studio link in

36 – Total

With this degree you could start your own architecture firm or consulting agency or visualization studio, etc… or get a job in all the alternate career paths architects take these days...

Mar 12, 11 10:29 am

no design foundation, and not even conceptual design until 3rd year?

this might work if design process were simpy a taught/learned transfer of knowledge. but it's not at all. it's an evolving set of ways of working that takes time.

this looks like a recipe for an expanded field of perfectly adequate shopping center architects, if that's what you're going for. otherwise, i'm not getting it.

Mar 12, 11 11:28 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Valid response and since this post, been working some of the kinks out

Assume now RA's are PE's, Building Engineers

If you earn a BS you could work 3 years for an engineering firm, take exams and become a PE. This means a young entrepenuer could hire a PE and earn license. This also means starting salary is higher if you work for engineers. You could also go work for a developer or CM firm immediately, higher salary of course.

To address your response, the BA would allow those who wish to experiment take only concept studios and theory classes. They could never open a firm but could work for anyone assuming someone would have. This is the BArch or MArch in this country right now.

2 semester of concept studio is enough to break someone out of constricted thinking. The result would be a construction industry whose pioneers are young and will to push the envelope as the Engineers will assume all liability.

Mar 12, 11 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

"They could never open a firm..." I take that back

since Engineers would be liable for everything, if you have a BA or a BS in Architecture you are an Architect.

Clearly the BS is a degree for those who want to make a living and the possibility of becoming a Building Engineer.

The BA is there for people who want to be Building Artists.

boom. now I have to go market this.

Mar 12, 11 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

No student is going to take a 36 credit hour year. I wouldn't even gamble on a university being able to adequately offer a set schedule like that either. Also, your curriculum leaves out most of the necessary courses that make up the 60 hour core classes.

Most students don't take more than 6 hours in the summer, either.

Mar 12, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Why Chemistry 101?

Mar 15, 11 6:58 am  · 
 · 
trace™

My thoughts to expand on SW's:

Design - personally, I think it takes a great set of profs to get a solid design education with 48+ credits (or was it 64? I can't recall). That's what I had for undergrad and was certainly enough for professional practice. Less, though, is not, imho.

8 Design Studios - 6-8 credits per class

NO calculus, NO chemistry, you need neither

Business Classes - I don't see any general business classes. Most people don't know, but every school I know will give you a minor and take care of gen ed requirements (if you declare that as a minor). Everyone should at least graduate with a minor in business that plans on working outside of gov't. It takes no more classes.

Structures - fine if you are after your engineering status, but generally there is very little needed (how many architect's size the rebar? Truss calculations??). I think I had 3 structure classes, of which I recall general concepts but that's all.

Technical Computer Classes - one is enough, maybe two as an elective. To make production monkeys, great, but everyone else will figure it out in studios or on their own time. I never took a real PS, Ill, etc., class but we all learned very quickly. Studios can be quite a productive environment to learn in.

History - while nice, you don't need 3 classes of it. One is enough. Everyone reads/learns on their own, in studios, etc.

Suggestion: I have no problems with the 5 year professional degree as opposed to the 4+3 (which I did). 5 years, with 10 design studios and a focus on business solutions would be ideal.

Design Focus

Options:

Business Models - understanding the business of architecture, running a firm, new practices, etc.

Real Estate Dev - understanding the business of re dev

Engineering - if you want to pursue that focus (which, personally doesn't interest me in the slightest)

Summers: offering internships, shop time, business experience, etc., would be a great asset later on, if a school can coordinate this (it'd be pretty hard for a full group).

Maybe offer specialty classes like adv. computer modeling, green technologies (although many will want those as part of the regular schedule), adv. structures, fabrication, visualization

Mar 15, 11 9:06 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

I took consistantly 38 credit hours a year and no summer courses, so not sure why that is considered a lot.

Yeah I realized the bachelor of science is technically top heavy. The arts would be design heavy.

Def. Not enough business and development classes, maybe add a year to get those in. Or affer anoter BS - but real estate oriented?

Chemistry - we design with materials, duh!

Mar 15, 11 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

I took consistantly 38 credit hours a year and no summer courses, so not sure why that is considered a lot.

Yeah I realized the bachelor of science is technically top heavy. The arts would be design heavy.

Def. Not enough business and development classes, maybe add a year to get those in. Or affer anoter BS - but real estate oriented?

Chemistry - we design with materials, duh!

Mar 15, 11 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Should we be inventing our own patented composites and coatings for each project? I learned enough about how materials are made, react, etc in materials and methods class. A full blown chemistry class seems like overkill. Maybe I am missing something, but "We design with materials, duh" really doesn't tell me anything.

Mar 15, 11 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

odn - we don't make or design materials, architect's only use them

Mar 16, 11 12:23 am  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

And if you don't know how materials are made and work in your design you are only guessing at the language you are playing with.

Anyway, forget the first 3 years above and only use the last year with integrated classes to studio. Its easy to pass exams on unapplied knowledge and to design concepts without limits, so just give each potential senior three options of real integration matching practice.:

Pro prac studio - as mentioned above
Concept Studio - cutting edge software or theory or history anaylis as tie in to studio
Real Estate and Development - studio for developer wanna bes

All three you earn title Architect

Mar 16, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: