Archinect
anchor

again help needed guyz

elmarcom

hello everyone! I`m a pupil (9 g.) from Azerbaijan, and in future I want to be an architect. I want to ask some questions about arch.education:
-is it important to study chemistry if you want to be an architect?
-which arch.professions doesnt need in chemistry?
thank u all!

Mar 11, 11 2:18 pm
drums please, Fab?
is it important to study chemistry if you want to be an architect?

yes! it's all about how things go together

which arch.professions doesnt need in chemistry?

web architect, sr java architect, .NET architect, C# architect, software architect, database architect, pega system architect, storage solution architect, information architect, infrastructure architect, and website applications architect

Mar 11, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

I think FRaC is being a smartass, no?

In the US, I don't think any schools require Chemistry.

Mar 11, 11 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
elmarcom

@Donna Sink

For example like MIT, Stanford - they don`t require chem?

Mar 11, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

They post their curriculum on their websites.

http://architecture.mit.edu/masters-march-require.html

Bam!

I'm unfamiliar Azerbaijani public education (a subject I actually know absolutely nothing about? AMAZING!) but it seems to me that the knowledge of chemistry one might require is pretty basic.

The only chemistry knowledge that would be helpful to architects is knowledge of organic chemistry (specifically polymers, petrochemicals, volatile organic compounds, various greases and oils) and a knowledge of metallurgy (properties of metal-- do they rust, how do they change chemically, melting points, alloys).

Mar 11, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Stay away from chemistry. You don't want to end up like Walter White.

Mar 11, 11 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
elmarcom

Azerrbaijan and US edu systems are not identical. Here we study the topics in the future I do not need. But, of course, I can explore the topics which maybe in future I need.
But is basic knowledge enough?

Mar 11, 11 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

The world will always need another good chemical engineer. Architect? Not really.

Mar 12, 11 9:13 am  · 
 · 
elmarcom

What does that mean? Hey, architects, stay ayaw from chemistry? Definitely no.

Mar 12, 11 9:18 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Unless chemistry means something else in Azerbaijan, I cannot imagine why it would be specifically useful in architecture - beyond just the conceptual idea that everything you learn in life can eventually become inspirational for your creative work.

Chemistry is the subject I took the least amount of classes in in my entire educational career - I took the 1 single mandatory basic chem class in high school - and I can truthfully say that it has absolutely zero to do with the day-to-day work of architecture. I remember learning about atomic structures & electrons & ions and trust me, that has nothing to do with architecture in a practical sense. I have no idea why someone would suggest that it is a required course for a specifically architectural degree. There's about 1,000 more important things to learn that will have a much more direct impact on your work as an architect.

Mar 12, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
elmarcom

@mantaray

Agree. I just thought that architects don`t need in chemistry, only engineers in that subject. Of course, I understand that I must (and not only me) know that the basic knowledge (as how-things-go-together).

Mar 12, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

personally I don't really think you even need the basic knowledge... it is hard for me to think back to a single subject that was more useless to me than chemistry was. Since when do you need to know how atoms join together as an architect? you don't.

history, language, physics, math, art, even the living sciences (biology, ecology, etc) have a bearing on architecture. chemistry? not in my personal opinion, no. I would have rather taken automotive science (how to fix a car) than chemistry -would have been MUCH more useful.

And in case you might think I just have a vendetta or something, I actually got an A+ in chemistry - the highest mark in the class if I recall. It's basically applied maths... just applied to something useless to an arch.

Mar 12, 11 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I took advanced chemistry in highschool and did very poorly. It made the difference for me of going into architecture instead of engineering. I remember the class being every day just before lunch, me being hungry in that class, noxious from chemical fumes, and not understanding half the things the poor Irish sap of a teacher was saying. I sometimes wondered how my life would have been different if I did better in that class...

Chemistry is everywhere when it comes to construction. I would say knowledge in chemistry is critical for being a great designer. Not many design professionals care though.

-bituminous
-elastomeric
-silicone
-polyurethane
-flouropolymer
-emulsified
-galvanized
-thermoplastic
-crystalline
-etc, etc...

Lots of chemical products and procedures are detrimental to your building's performance. An average designed doesn't know the difference between steel and iron. You will get a lot of blank stares and rapidly blinking eyes if you ask an architect do define a single one of the terms I listed.

So yes, take keen interest in chemistry if you would like to become a great architect one day.

Mar 12, 11 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

mantaray, applied chemistry is much more than "how atoms go together".

Mar 12, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
elmarcom

So there is my question: Do architects-students study chem at college?
If yes, i think the basic knowledge is enough for continuing the study.

Mar 12, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

elmarcom, no, architecture students don't study chemistry at all. I'm not sure that they should.

At some point in your career it makes sense to become familiar with chemical performance characteristics of modern construction systems.

Mar 12, 11 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

well duh, rusty, I wasn't about to go into an in-depth analysis of applied chem. But basically, at root, it IS about how atoms go together - it's about the atomic structure and behaviour of materials, liquids, etcetera. How else can you sum up chem in a short phrase?

Anyway - for the examples you list above, really only a working familiarity is needed for arch. YES, you do need to know what "galvanized" is (the various types of galvanisation for example, the basic process & effect) what elastomeric means, what rust is, why and how certain materials break down over time, when you should use copper nails and why, what causes corrosion on what materials, etc. But you can learn these really easily during practice by talking to industry reps & doing a little homework at the library / online. You don't REALLY need to know any in-depth chemistry. Also, your basic materials & methods classes in arch. uni. cover all this to the extent that you need to know it.

elmarcom, you can look up the basic USA/Canada professional arch. degree requirements on NCARB's website I believe. I would be surprised if chemistry is listed. It wasn't required for my degree (never had to take it beyond high school) and I can't personally think of another uni that requires it for arch. degree. Again, your basic materials & methods courses should cover what you need to know.

Mar 12, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

manta, "Anyway - for the examples you list above, really only a working familiarity is needed for arch."

Agreed. But just grasping basic concepts of chemicals used in architecture makes you more knowledgable than 99.8% of the population. We are only splitting hairs on what 'basic knowledge' means. What I'm saying is that a knowledgable architect can have an informed discussion with a chemist working at Dow.

Mar 12, 11 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
elmarcom

Thank you all guys! (I still hope that the chem is not important) :)

Mar 13, 11 1:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: