Archinect
anchor

Assess you productivity, please.

BOTS

Assess you productivity, please.

I sit here after returning to Archinect discussion board during billable time primarily because I’ m a bored Corporate Architect.

It’s a skewed impromptu survey because you are your are an Archinector, also i am a big advocate for procrastination as part of personal development (I’m talking deep thought rather than distraction) .

Two Questions

1. So what percentage of time on either studies or practice is spent procrastinating in a non deliverable, non beneficial way?

2. Apart from architect discussions what is your biggest distraction?

Currently mine is at lease 10% researching top choons for my next DJ set – a different creative process.

Mar 11, 11 10:06 am
jmanganelli

pressure+lack of familiarity with something i'm trying to learn that is near and dear to me and/or that i consider foundational for where i want to go = procrastination and work in anxious fits and starts

no pressure + lack of familiarity with something i'm trying to learn that is near and dear to me and/or that i consider foundational for where i want to go = intensive, methodical exploration and deep skill/knowledge acquisition with subsequent ramp-up in speed and productivity ----- it takes what it takes ----- very rewarding ----- often time-consuming

pressure+lack of familiarity but the subject matter or skill is not that important to me personally, i.e., its just part of the job = fast, good-enough to competently get it done analysis, skill acquisition, and production

pressure+familiarity = lots of work fast, loose, agile, even playful, very rewarding

Mar 11, 11 10:32 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

assessment:

first case: (procrastination case)

right now --- too much --- almost 20% of my time --- very tough semester, doing several new things at once that are near and dear to me with hard deadlines before i'm naturally ready to perform at that level --- rare condition --- normally, less than 5% of time

second case:

about 10% to 15%, nights and weekends kind of stuff, or while in school, summer/break work

third case:

10% to 15%

fourth case:

about 50% to 75% of time

Mar 11, 11 10:38 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I'm procratining so much I can't even be arsed to type correctly let alone check spelling!!

Assess your productivity, please.

Mar 11, 11 11:15 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Insanely productive.

Unfortunately, that doesn't always translate into $$.

I do get distracted thinking about which new creative venture to undertake. Photography experiments seem the most promising, but I have to keep reminding myself that no one is going to pay for it, so I guess I'd categorize the "research" as "productive procrastination".

Mar 11, 11 11:45 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I notice I procrastinate more when I'm either extremely tired, very overwhelmed with work, and/or if I'm working with difficult people.

Mar 11, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 

BOTS, I posit that the visible words "assess your productivity" on the top of the thread list is, today, causing many people to click off Archinect immediately and get back to work!

I'm most productive after 10pm for the last few hours before I finally go to bed. I think it's because I want to go to bed so badly but also want to finish what I'm doing before giving in.

Mar 11, 11 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I'm in Donna's boat. If she'll let me be in there.

I find it generally impractical to ever attempt to get anything done ever before 2:00 p.m. I do have a 'productive peak' between 10:15-11:30 a.m. But, I really do all of my work between 3:30 p.m. 1:30 a.m.

But I don't have a real job. I don't think I could handle a real sit down office job unless 60% of my job was running errands.

I've been trying really hard to convince myself to apply for real jobs these days.. but I've found few jobs where I can constantly be doing something all the time-- basically office management.

I also can't work a job that isn't next to a cafe. I need my hour long lunch of drinking like 7 cups of coffee (half coffee, half cold skim milk please) and smoking at least 4 cigarettes.

Mar 11, 11 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I need a proper amount of distraction at all times.

Mar 12, 11 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: