Archinect
anchor

Indesign and tif quality relationship

plecnik

Help please!
I have a tif file of a line drawing (i cannot locate the original illustrator file). This file is 9 x 9in at 300dpi, looks good and lines are crisp when printed at 100% scale.
I need this file to be as big as 2 x 2in in my Indesign page. When I place the file in Indesign and scale down to 2 x 2in, and then print the Indesign page, it comes out extremely blurry.
Of course, if I place the tif file in Indesign as original size 9 x 9in, the print comes out fine and crisp.
Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mar 9, 11 9:33 pm
trace™

just resize to 2x2, then link

Mar 9, 11 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
plecnik

That would reduce the size of the original file, therefore compromising the line quality - prints out blurry

Mar 10, 11 6:15 am  · 
 · 
jajo.

can you re-size it in another program? Photoshop or Gimp? i think Indesign only gives you JPEG compression choices... which are lossy. choose cubic if you can, and be sure to save it as a tif.

Mar 10, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Is the image greyscale? If so, that's your problem. Convert it to to CMYK and your problem should be solved.

Greyscale tiffs print as a series of rather noticeable dots.

Like so.

Mar 10, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

that would reduce the dimensions, but not necessarily the resolution

Mar 10, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

convert the file to bitmap in photoshop or equal, then reduce size and increase dpi - save as a copy so you still have your original.

Mar 11, 11 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: