Archinect
anchor

UT Tuition

Droselle

I have looked everywhere online and I cannot get a straight answer on what the tuition is for the MArch I at UT Austin for someone out-of-state. Any UT people know off hand? Or someone who is more savvy at surfing the web than I am?

thanks

Mar 9, 11 6:39 pm
Droselle

brilliant. thank you.

Mar 9, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
arri

glad to help

Mar 10, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Is anyone else disappointed that people with advanced degrees can't even use the internet or use a phone to call a university?

Mar 10, 11 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Droselle

i am. i wish i was better. oh well.

Mar 10, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis
i am. i wish i was better. oh well.

Gob Bluth: C'MON!!!

Mar 10, 11 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Gob Bluth: Yeah, like I'm gonna waste time on the internet while I wear this $20k suit!

Mar 10, 11 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Haha. Sorry. That was mean-spirited. I apologize.

But, seriously: UT austin AND architecture AND tuition AND fee schedule

First result? http://www.utexas.edu/tuition/costs.html

Mar 11, 11 1:27 am  · 
 · 
rascuache

In addition, residency in Texas can be achieved by owning any land in the state for one year, for which plenty of people on ebay are selling uninhabitable quarter-acres for dirt cheap.

Also, if you want to TA as a grad student, they pay for a great portion of your tuition + provide a healthy stipend for each semester that you do so. An M.Arch at UT can be obtained for ridiculously cheap, relatively.

Mar 11, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Droselle

rascuache, good tips.

Buying land on e-bay seems a bit dodgy for me, but maybe it's something worth to look into. TA'ing would be ideal, but still waiting to find out, although I think most are offered a position after the first semester.

Ultimately, as you have said, it seems UT is a bargain.

to whoever is now invisible, i'm glad you are such a smart google searcher. i hope it takes you far in life.

Mar 13, 11 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

why would you have to buy land to get residency status? In California you need to live in state for a year to establish residency. No purchase necessary. I know Texas can be a bit ass backwards, but even they couldn't pull off rights for land owners only.

Mar 13, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

it's not rights for land owners only; it's an additional way to achieve residency without actually living in the state. plenty of hollywood folks buy houses in austin to avoid state income tax (there is none in texas), claiming to be texas residents without setting foot in the state more than once or a twice a year.

texas has a strong land rights ethic, and that's a brilliant way to game the system. in-state tuition in austin is a steal.

Mar 14, 11 11:16 am  · 
 · 
wb4b44

Do you guys know when Texas' open house will be?

Mar 14, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

March 25. I'll send you the flyer, if you'd like.

Mar 14, 11 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Thanks beezely. That's a pretty dirty loophole. States gaming each other like that can only produce bad results for everyone in the long run.

Mar 14, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

Yep, it's a dirty race to the bottom. I don't think this specific rule was intended to be part of that race, but its effects could be part of the larger problem Texas presents for higher services/higher taxes states.

Considering that the difference in a student's contribution from out-of-state to in-state tuition is insignificant compared with the $18B + UT system endowment, I'd go ahead and buy that parcel of paradise, if UT Austin is your ultimate choice.

Mar 14, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
rascuache

Buying land on ebay is only dodgy if you care about the land, for a piece of land you wont and never would want to visit, you're really only paying a couple hundred dollars for a legitimate deed to show the state. Besides that, there are plenty of other ways to get these useless pieces of land for dirt cheap outside of ebay. Good luck in Austin!

Mar 14, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Droselle

Do you need to own the property for a certain amount of time before you can say you live in-state?

Mar 15, 11 7:47 am  · 
 · 
Jola

fyi, the university has caught on to the buying-land-for-tuition loophole, they are now making it a requirement that you actually LIVE on the land you own.

Apr 2, 11 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: