Archinect
anchor

unemployment benefits question

victormac

Hi, I am a green-card holder and work in new jersey since 2 and half years. Now if I find a new job in new york and quit my present job in NJ and if within a month or so, I get laid off or fired from the new job due to insufficient quality of work or so, do I receive unemployment benefits? I am trying to find a better job, but this confusion bothers me. If anyone knows about this well enough, please respond.
thank you.

Mar 8, 11 10:42 am
Cherith Cutestory

You would need to check what the regulations are in New Jersey and New York about receiving unemployment benefits. Most states require a minimum amount of employment (usually something like 6 months) in order to qualify for benefits, and even at that if you have only just meet the minimum requirement you may not be eligible for benefits until several months AFTER you have been laid-off because of how they award benefits (it's based on work quarters and they recognize the 2 quarters that have already fully passed... your layoff would be in the current quarter).

Mar 8, 11 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

What it comes down to is you would need to evaluate the pros and cons of leaving a stable paying job (albeit one that isn't satisfying) for a questionable job in New York.

Mar 8, 11 11:05 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

In IL if you quit you don't qualify for unemployment. I don't know if its the same all over, but would suspect it is. I have many friends who want to be laid off so they can leave the crappy office they are working at and get on unemployment for a while. Until that happens they are stuck working at that office. On the plus side at least they are making a good paycheck every couple of weeks. On the bad side, the office they are at has pretty much drained them of any hope for advancement, and has made them hate architecture in general. oh well.

Mar 8, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 
MorganNick

The value of unemployment benefits in New Jersey differs from that of other states because each state unemployment office applies its own formulas and limits when calculating the level of unemployment compensation.One of the rule as I know in New Jersey is one must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of our own as defined under New Jersey law.The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development publishes requirements for wages earned or time worked during an established period of time referred to as a base period.For any information you can call them at the following number 1-888-795-6672.

suppliers in china

Mar 9, 11 4:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: