Archinect
anchor

Toronto: scene

lifeform

We are thinking of moving to Toronto to set up a practice. I love the city but dont know it well enough to tell if it can sustain a small practice. Canadian architecture is very under the radar, but it seems like something is cooking in Toronto architecture that could really go somewhere. There seems to be public interest and public projects.

Does anyone have any suggestions on people you must know to get work and generally what the 'scene' is like there in terms of young, ambitious small architecture practices? ... I would love to hear from torontonians present or past.

Nov 18, 04 12:33 pm
domestic

'Canadian architecture is very under the radar, but it seems like something is cooking in Toronto architecture that could really go somewhere'
what do you mean by this, what projects? Because all the noteworthy projects in Toronto right now are being designed by celebrity architects, not local architects.

For 'young ambitious small practices,' Montreal is a city which I think better fits your descript. than Toronto, as there is NOMADE, Saucier+Perrotte, Pierre Thibault, Atelier Big City...
Although there does seem to be a lot of construction going on in Toronto, but most of it is by larger established firms or like I said, celebrity arch's. Toronto is a pretty conservative when i comes to business/money, so ? its hard to tell.
Sorry, but I can't think of any up and comers in Toronto, just firms who do nice work, Stephen Teeple, Shim Sutcliffe, or Ian Macdonald archs.

check out www.canadianarchitect.com, it gives a good sense of whats going on.

Nov 18, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: