Archinect
anchor

Design Books

Arcane

Hello,

I am a game designer, and I would like to ask about good Architecture books to learn the basics of desing.

I am looking for basic theory and concepts, like the elements to design the interior of a building with specific function.

Also I am interested in the history and philosophy of ancient architecture. I found this book: A Global History of Architecture. they say it is global and I really need a book featuring many civilizations and cultures, don't know if this book is the one or if there any others like it/better.

Also understanding how to analyze buildings will be very helpful.

Thank you :)

Jul 25, 14 12:34 am
bugsmetoo

Bill Addis. 3000 Years of Building (whatever it's officially called).

Jul 25, 14 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Before you start reading histories of architecture, you need to understand basic design strategy. I recommend Frank Ching's 'Architecture: Form, Space, Order".
Jul 25, 14 7:31 am  · 
 · 
“””1991”

It's been said a hours and times over. For basic design, Ching is the man

Jul 27, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Arcane

Thanks a lot :)

Jul 31, 14 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Arcane,

The first architectural book I ever got was Building Construction Illustrated(Ch'ing). I found it to be a more practical approach to architecture and design. Hope it helps.

Jul 31, 14 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: