Archinect
anchor

>>2010 NYC salaries??

>>anyone have a good source for 2010 nyc salaries for the following (i´m non aia so don´t have access to their data)?

12 years experience
licensed
project/senior architect role

i seem to be off the mark when presenting salary requirements at interviews.
thanks

Mar 5, 11 1:23 am
blanco teko

It's not specific to NYC, but these are two good sources, if you haven't seen them yet:
AIA 2008 Summary

Architect Mag survey 2010

The second has atrocious graphics, but is probably the most useful. But the short answer is that you could probably expect to make anywhere between $70,000 and $90,000 or more, depending on the office... Somewhere like SOM, I'd hope an architect with your experience could make more than 100k, but these days who knows.

I'd guess you could add 10-20% to the national median salaries for their NYC equivalents.

good luck!

Mar 5, 11 2:18 am  · 
 · 
Justin Piercy | architect

@blanco, thanks very much. that´s pretty much where i thought i stood however with recent interviews it seems this crisis and the resulting competition for work seems to have reduced pay rates by about 10-15%. it´s been years since i´ve interviewed in the states, is it now common practice for firms to ask your salary requirements rather than you asking what they are prepared to offer? this tactic was the oldest trick in the book for offices to get prospective employees to underbid themselves, especially when jobs were scarce.
thanks again.

Mar 5, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I have a few nyc friends with around 12 years of experience who are making as little as 50k. 5 years of pay freeze will get you there. They're just grateful to have been employed all this time.

Mar 5, 11 10:52 am  · 
 · 
elinor

i'd say 75-95 as well, but i also know of people who have been offered 55-65 recently (although they were not licensed). and yes, it seems to be common practice to email requirements up front, as well as an extensive work sample that is basically a portfolio, which really gives you little room to present yourself at all, since they can already make up their minds about you before you ever walk in the door.

Mar 6, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: