Archinect
anchor

could things be improving????

Short listed for a HUGE project in China, and an office building in Oregon....(insert prayer here).

Mar 4, 11 6:49 pm
mdler

yep

Mar 4, 11 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

did they teach you to design the imperial hotel at Taliesin? That dog will hunt...

Mar 4, 11 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Things are improving. I was furloughed recently and then got picked up by several other firms within three weeks - still trying to decide which offer to take and holding out for one other.

Glad it didn't happen a year ago - otherwise I'd be screwed.

Mar 5, 11 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Ive picked up more work in the last 2 months than the last 2 years combined. Thats the good news. The work is different this time and thats the bad news. We are being contracted by former clients through their general contractors, whom we've worked closely with in the past. We are being given the designs to draw and not actively participating the design of the projects on the schematic level. The irony is the designs are basically reused design schemes we developed over the last 8 years for the clients. In one case the client's in house design staff, which is their marketing department, is making the schematic decisions. So we are essentially becoming the default code, spec and drafting service, and aren't even invited to the planning sessions. But the fee is similar to what we would have been billing pre 2009 so we cant complain. I just hope the move to in-house design and contractor lead design build doesn't portend the future of architecure, it will be a boring profession if so.

Mar 5, 11 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

2step, do we work together? Sounds almost dead-on for my firm too.

Economically, things are definitely improving, but the work is boring.

Mar 8, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
We are being contracted by former clients through their general contractors, whom we've worked closely with in the past. We are being given the designs to draw and not actively participating the design of the projects on the schematic level.

welcome to the wonderful world of design-build. yes, this is where the profession is headed.

Mar 8, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

We've picked up a lot more work recently - some are projects (finally) coming back to life. Some are crazy new things people are rushing to get done before they think the inevitable inflation run-up will hit. For that reason, we're taking anything that moves and storing as many chestnuts for the winter as possible.

Mar 8, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: