cmrhm

hopefully not.

Mar 4, 11 4:12 pm
trace™

oh, that would be sad, one of my all time favorites

Mar 4, 11 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Their website doesn't work and their SoHo office is missing. So... probably?

Carlos Zapata seems to be running his own studio up the street at 520 Broadway.

Mar 4, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

i think that they split up years ago...

Mar 4, 11 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Is the following the right website? They did split and I think one of them ( wood?) is working for some good chinese projects.

www.wood-zapata.com

Mar 4, 11 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
jfdes

Wood operates from XinTianDi in Shanghai. Was very surprised to see his office there.

Mar 5, 11 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
justyell

Check out zapatas website in NYC. Cz-studio.com. Some good work still going on.

Mar 5, 11 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Thanks, evanc.

Mar 7, 11 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Ben Wood is pretty popular here in Shanghai - his XinTianDi "restoration" project* proved to local gov and developers that there is, in fact, some value in historic structures and human/pedestrian-scale urbanism.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xintiandi

Mar 7, 11 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

*the marketing literature calls it a renovation, but in reality most of the historic buildings were torn down and rebuilt - out of necessity, i imagine.

Mar 7, 11 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I think many architects contributes to xintiandi or just him?

Mar 7, 11 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

i think wood + zapata did the original masterplan, wood designed the retail & entertainment blocks, and yeah a few surrounding bldgs were by other architects (these for instance, by KPF)....

anyway, "xintiandi" now refers to a pretty large district, not just the original project....

here's the xintiandi page on wood's site.... really a fascinating project.

anyway, I don't know much about his practice here. I interviewed w/ his office back in march 2010, but took another job offer. It seemed like a cool place to work.

Mar 7, 11 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: