Archinect
anchor

what is a historic preservation certificate

bfffffffffff

More specifically, I am a M.Arch candidate considering whether or not to go for one. Pursuing one would take up all of my electives. I'm interested in working with historic buildings and contexts, but have a very contemporary perspective on design. I'm not interested in direct preservation. 

What career options does a historic preservation really open up? Is it worth it?

Jul 23, 14 2:48 pm
anonitect

Have you talked to your advisor, or a prof. in the certificate program? That's where I'd start.

If you aren't interested in preservation, getting a certificate in the field doesn't really sound like the best course of study.

Jul 23, 14 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Never even heard of it like a credential.  And I do historic work, chaired government Historic Preservation Boards, attended seminars, etc..  The only certificates I know of are awarded to the building as a designation; National, State, and Local.  I might have picked up some certificate for some of those seminars and completing them to serve on the board, but that was more of a weekend thing than a real class.

As a specialty, the career openings are down to just those firms specializing in historic preservation, grant and review positions within the government, or the National Park Service has a bunch on staff, though most of what they do is document, research, assess, and inventory... not a lot of design; mostly maintenance stuff like historic means and methods of construction for upkeep and repairs..  Basically, no one alive designs ground up historic, so you are always dealing with existing buildings and the restorations/modifications. 

Jul 23, 14 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

“I'm interested in working with historic buildings and contexts, but have a very contemporary perspective on design. I'm not interested in direct preservation.” Not sure what that means bfffffffffff. Does that mean that you want to do both, back-and-fort or repurposing buildings instead of preservation? Having a MArch and a certificate of some kind added on would put you in a place to do that.

Look to firms like Schooley Caldwell out of Columbus, Ohio that do both for clues

My practice specialized in Historical Preservation and Modernist Design at the same time, we also did some real estate development work in repurposing building….sorry can’t help more, need to know more to tell you more. Sorry too I can't help you on an academic question but can help with employment questions.

Jul 23, 14 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I think I have a historic preservation certificate.

It has never helped me much, but I didn't end up going in that direction anyways. It was begun as a dual Masters (M.Arch 1 and M. Preservation) but the school (the giant weenie of a dean, more specifically) changed the rules when I was 2 electives away.

You really need to be getting a job in the field you want to work in, or else your degree/ certificates are mostly worthless. I would suggest you do some competitions or speculative projects that renovate/ combine historical buildings with new, modern construction.

Jul 24, 14 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I knew someone that had a historic preservation designation, not sure what though. How do you feel about measuring, detailing and drawing old stone acanthus leaves for procuring replacements for instance? That is what this person told me they did a lot of anyway. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with blending contemporary with historic. Preservationists are usually just that, preservationists.

Jul 24, 14 10:51 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The specialty can get quite interesting though with building jurisdictions.  Tons of 'fun' conversations about loads and buildings constructed out of 'logs and forage material' (like tree limbs as roof rafters).  Sort of thing where I can't prove the structural capability to pass code, but can argue over a hundred years of being able to take whatever mother nature and the former occupants could dish out...  Also a pita trying to explain to people that yes, their 1950's modernist folded plate concrete structure is historic;  Doesn't have to turn of the century and older works only.  Even harder is the '60's and '70's architectural gems and trying to get designations on them so they aren't lost to development and infill.  Also historic sites are a hard one because most people think buildings... one we lost was this two lane road formally lined with oaks at regular spacing.  Created a wonderful tunnel affect and a 'space' through the town.  They wiped it out to widen the road instead of considering alternatives... now it's just like any other 4 lane road and not an 'experience'. 

So a big part of the field is education, social interaction, presentation, and being able to sway opinion using what to them are 'abstract and out of the ordinary' arguments.  Often you'll have to start grass-roots type movements, get the media involved, and organize to save stuff...  It can be interesting and can actually have more of a cultural local impact than any new construction.  Gets tied firmly into that "sense of space and community"...

Jul 24, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: