Archinect
anchor

Gensler Question

med.

Hi All,

Just had a question for anyone who might have previously experienced the hiring process at Gensler.

I was recently interviewed by them - it was a nice interview they seemed to like me and my work and I thought the office was pretty incredible and the people were really nice. I thought the interview went pretty well. I haven't been given a time-table for a 'second' interview but when emailing my 'thank you' notes to them, they told me they would get back to me to determine the next steps in the process.

Problem is that I was given a pretty decent offer at another firm and I would like to take it but I would like to hear where I stand first at Gensler. I need to make a decision very soon with the one firm.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes to get hired at Gensler?

Any advice would be great.

Feb 27, 11 3:57 pm
Rusty!

congrats on a job offer med. You have the upper hand now. Contact them and tell them you're sitting on an offer but are still interested in working for them. That'll get you an answer. Don't be shy...

btw, why do you want to work for the corporate suck-fest known as Gensler? They'll block your access to archinect from work! Is it worth it!?

Feb 27, 11 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I've always admired the work they do. I don't really mind working at corporate firms - the last few firms I've worked at were all like that. It seems they are really begining to staff up and as I've heard, they are interviewing a lot of people.

The same can be said around town in general just as an FYI. I've had at least 7 interviews over the last three weeks. So it seems either I'm having good luck or things are really begining to pick up at least around this town.

I understand Gensler has a process and it's usually two rounds of interviews and then possibly a third or some kind of decision.

I think I will contact them towards the end of the week if I don't hear anything from them.

Feb 27, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

interesting. are you in nyc?

Feb 27, 11 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
med.

No. I thought about moving up there recently though.

Feb 27, 11 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I just applied to Gensler SF for the 4th time through thier website, and as usual, no replys - there must be some other way

Feb 27, 11 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Honestly, I really have no idea how they do things or what the website does. I just passed my resume/work samples along to a friend who works there.

That doesn't always guarantee you an interview either.

I did hear that their west coast offices are hiring extensively.

Feb 27, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

My 3-person team defeated Gensler in a 100-acre masterplanning competition. They must REALLY suck.

Feb 27, 11 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

don't be so hard on yourself doctor. maybe the competition panel was incompetent. maybe there was a clerical error (and now they're too nice to change it). maybe gensler doesn't know agriculture as well as you guys do.

Once I beat someone in chess, and I thought they must have been retarded. Turns out they let me win.

Feb 27, 11 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"I just passed my resume/work samples along to a friend who works there."

From what I have gathered form this forum, my own experience unsuccessfully applying at Gensler and talking to friends, the most efficient way in is through a connection on the inside. I get the feeling that the online system is just there to prevent thousands of people from emailing the offices directly.

I 2nd telling them you have another offer on the table that is time sensitive. The best case is that you get Gensler to outbid them... the worst case is they tell you that can't move that fast and you go with offer 1. Maybe in a few months you jump ship.

Feb 27, 11 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Maybe in a few months you jump ship.

I think for the next few years you will see a lot of this anyway. So many employers have reduced salaries - both from clients seeking out reduced prices and from corporate greed - that I think most people (or at least the smart ones) will start using and abusing offices short-term to get the salaries and working conditions they deserve. Personally, I see nothing wrong with this. Offices have really screwed over their employees over the last few years and their HR departments have become a joke. Why shouldn't the employees partake in the game.

Feb 27, 11 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Really, I have 3 years exp - but because I had a 1 year absence(all of '09) due to the recession and only 2 months recent experience in '10 in temp jobs at 2 offices, they decided to compensate me based on 2 months recent experience, and not the 2 years total experience. "you only have 2 months recent experience, and we would like to pay you more, but then we would like to talk to some more candidates" e.g., Do you feel lucky?

Feb 27, 11 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

regarding gensler,
I don't know if even an "insider connection" works. I recently had lets just say one of their top designers recommend me, and nothing came of it. In Chicago gensler is known as the boomerang office because gensler has a reputation for re hiring past employees. I don't know if that is good or bad? The people I've known that worked in gensler quite frankly did not impress me with their architecture ability or knowledge, but then again ive only met about 12 people who were pa's there.

Feb 27, 11 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Gensler a boomerang office? great for people who worked there - SOM is a "you had your chance" type of office the only person they fired and re-hired was Nat Owings, and that was because his name was on the wall. back to Gensler, I do know someone who works there - she told me to use thier website.

Feb 27, 11 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

rusty you are being quite kind. Or sarcastic. In any case, I do not care, because we are working on the project right now. 100 acres of residential/mixed use.

But thanks for your kind words. Sucker.

Feb 28, 11 12:15 am  · 
1  · 
creativity expert

Oh yes SOM, I think that office would require its own thread, or maybe a new thread could be started on the reputation that they and other offices have built up over the years. It could be useful or entertaining to those that haven't worked out there. rethink it your comment reminds me about "The Halloween massacre" I only read about it I was a freshman in high school when that happened. I also know from people that have worked there that from 2008 to 2009 in the Chicago office they let go something close to 300 people.

Feb 28, 11 12:41 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

As much as I hate to say this...

Corporations are [needy] people too. Except when it comes to criminal cases, they are imaginary people who cannot be tried in the court of law.

But as any "natural" being, they are about self preservation. Like a coyote gnawing off its own leg to free itself from a bear trap, a corporation has to make impulsive instinctual decisions that are often far from logical or compassionate.

The only thing I know about Gensler is that they seem to be incredibly transparent. They post all of their corporate information on the internet and they even make fancy media packets about how they structure their office and run their business. They also have an actual written business plan and they clearly identify their chain of command.

They also brag about the billions of dollars of projects that they haven't even started working on and about the billions of dollars of projects they are working on.

They also publish a list of all of their completed projects and a list of all of their clients within the year of the report.

They are a rare gem of the architectural world.

Feb 28, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Completely off topic.

But congrats on being all awesome and wanted.

Feb 28, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
+i

For what it's worth this was my interview and offer experience at Gensler DC in 2008:

Interview went really well, they were genuinely interested in my portfolio and work experience and asked REAL questions about it all and proved they had looked at it before I came in for the interview. Not standard Q&A.

No second interview. No additional phone interviews.
2-3 weeks later I had an offer from them. I negotiated and got a higher salary with them but ultimately went elsewhere. I sort of regret that now.

Keep in mind this was spring 2008.

Mar 1, 11 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I never got past the automated response that said I wasn't qualified, and I got that on a Sunday. Humbug.

Mar 1, 11 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
yarchitect

Well, being that this post is 2-3 weeks old, I'm sure you've already made your decision. But for what it's worth, my advice would have been to accept that offer, and if Gensler called you back for a 2nd interview, go through the process regardless. If at the end of the process Gensler offers you an equivalent or better offer, take it, give your 2 week's notice and go pursue your dream. You have to do what is most beneficial to you. I hope that more people came to that realizatio after this last recession.
I interviewed at Gensler years ago. They were slow at responding, so I accepted another offer. They ended up calling me for an interview, and a 2nd inteview with another group of managers/principals. Unfortunately I wasn't asked back after the 2nd inteview and I received my rejection letter 2 weeks later in the mail. But I knew that leaving the 2nd interview. I was so nervous that I really blew it.
Since then I have met a few people who used to work at that Gensler office, and the stories I heard were not rosey. I heard it is an extremely competitive environment. You are not competing against another firm, but against your team mate. If you want to get ahead you have to play politics and schmooze the right people.
Also, keep in mind that at such a large firm, you are just a number, and ant in an ant colonnie. At a small firm you can really make a name for yourself, given the right projects and opportunities and industry connections.
I am glad I ended up not getting that job, because of what I have accomplished over the years since then. And I don't think I would have learned half as much as Gensler.

Mar 22, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Well a little update. I didn't hear back from them for a while. So I took the job at the smaller firm. I started a couple weeks ago and I really like it and they seem to like me a lot as well. Very nice people, great high-profile projects, and the firms seems to be very busy.

Then get this.... No second interview but this very morning Gensler made me an offer! No idea what to do.

Mar 23, 11 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

is it for more money? would you rather work for a bigger/well known firm?

then take it...

Mar 23, 11 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I am indifferent about firm size. Obviously Gensler's name speaks for itself whereas the firm I just started at is a very locally reputable firm that has been published quite a bit.

I will have to see what the offer details are and then make a decision.

Mar 23, 11 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Congrats med.!

Make sure you don't fall for the trap of Gensler name recognition alone. Otherwise, glad to hear things have worked out for you so well. All the best!

Mar 23, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Shabana112

can you have a research in the SE so that the answer is much more correct. best regard

Mar 23, 11 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey
I started a couple weeks ago and I really like it and they seem to like me a lot as well. Very nice people, great high-profile projects, and the firms seems to be very busy.

Do not take for granted what you already have. You may end up with a manager you do not like at Gensler. In my experience your direct supervisor is more important than the overall company in regards to if the job is enjoyable and satisfying.

Mar 24, 11 2:00 am  · 
 · 
ctrlZ

I agree with jbushkey.

Obviously without knowing your work experience, you would probably learn more working in the smaller firm. If they do work that you admire and enjoy then its a win/win. Gensler is also more likely to dump the latest staff if a project in lost, whereas, oddly enough, the small firm usually retains staff longer.

Mar 24, 11 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
tidalwave1

med.--
why did you switch companies? if you don't mind me asking...

Apr 4, 11 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Tidalwave, I was put on a furlough at my previous firm They were mired by the political fallout from all of the mergers that happened within the last year coupled with the fact that much of the federal and local government jobs that was giving them great revenue had been put on hold. It was a direct of effect from congressional scrutiny over spending that needed to be reigned in.

The managers who informed me of this news said they would "bring me back" within 4 months max but I wasn;t really buying into it and decided to start making calls to look for employment right away.

I was a little "panicky" in the first week but then I got a bunch of invitations for interviews not only with arch firms but also with General contractors, developers, real estate brokers, etc. I decided to take a job with a midsize firm in G'town even after Gensler continued to posture...

Within two weeks of starting, Gensler made me an offer. No second interview or anything.... The offer is pretty good - about what I'm making now. At first I declined because of my current job situation but they don't seem to know how to take 'no' for an answer and are still comming at me hard!

The upside is that while I was out of a job for about a month and half - I looked at it actually as a much needed vacation! :)

Apr 5, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Sounds like your situation worked out really well med. Frankly I'd avoid Gensler, everyone I've known who worked there bailed for really good reasons (got stuck designing prisons or stair details, etc.).

Apr 5, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah I aint complaining Apurimac.

All things considered it worked out rather well on the employment front at least.

Prisons.....Tempting! I worked on several federal ones. But a lot of that work is on hold these days due to state and federal funding drying up.... :(

Apr 5, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

hmmm. well that's good med.

i'm swamped at work. supposedly we hired two new people. still working on 'temporary' salary reduction though...

Apr 5, 11 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

wait, they hired new people before reinstating your salary?? is this common??

Apr 5, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

Oh Gensler. I had a funny experience with them in SF. I had sent my resume to them and informed them that I will be in SF interviewing in the city for about a week. I had sent my resume to them about a month prior and told them the exact days I would be in the city, from a Monday to Friday. So Thursday evening, I get a message on my phone: "We would like to interview you, please call us back." I was thinking: WTF, I'm sent my resume a month ago and they know I'm leaving tomorrow. I left a message with them anyways but no one bothered to call back. Weird, weird, weird.

I was much younger then and now the name Gensler has left a bad taste in my mouth for another reason. Upper level management seems to have a prerequisite: you have to be Jewish.

Apr 5, 11 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Upper level management seems to have a prerequisite: you have to be Jewish. "

whoa, them fightin' words.

Apr 5, 11 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

I know, I know, but I'm just being blunt.

Don't believe me, check out their website. I was told by someone in the area the same thing.

Apr 5, 11 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Well, I was told by a gay friend of mine that every architect working in SF was either openly gay, or closeted (wife, kids, but lots and lots of late nighters).

So did you land a gig in SF? :)

Apr 5, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

There are many gays in the city, most of them openly gay. Some more flaming than others. It's San Francisco culture shock. I'm not sure why someone would have a wife and kids if he was gay Rusty. Working along gay people is no different than working anywhere else, minus the openly gay jokes.

Are you trying to imply that I am gay? :)

Apr 5, 11 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Are you trying to imply that I am gay? :) "

Not implying anything. Just asking questions.

You're the one who had a funny experience in SF. :)

Apr 5, 11 10:24 pm  · 
1  · 
eoqy

Thanks for the posting,

I recently had an interview with them and not hearing from them since.

They told me the same thing that they just started recruiting and could take a while, but they said they will definitely get back to me.

I was wondering why they don't just say I failed or not, but it seems they sometimes might take some time from your experience.

Mar 17, 21 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: