Archinect
anchor

University of Oregon Summer Design Program

rice

Hi, I am currently a junior in high school and while planning for my college future, I have recently been drawn to the field of design, yet I am not sure of whether this field of study is right for me. I believe my first step is to get a feel for the different disciplines of design, and get a feel for whether I would like to pursue something like it. One proposed idea was to apply for the summer design program in University of Oregon. Does anybody have any feedback as to whether this is a formidable design program, particularly erring on the side of its design content quality?

Feb 27, 11 1:57 am
mdler

you are in junior high..any insight into the design world through summer programs will be helpful to you. Besides, these summer programs are a lot of fun; a lot of horny design geeks put up in dorms without parents for two weeks...play your card right and you will be a happy camper

Feb 27, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

what mdler said.

When I was in junior high I couldn't tell my face from my ass. I still can't.

Good on you for taking initiative so early on. Have fun, and don't stress over it too much.

Feb 27, 11 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

junior in high school != junior high

Feb 27, 11 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

But to answer your question:

A friend of mine from undergrad is a M.Arch I student at UO, Eugene campus and has nothing but excellent things to say about the program. He is able to study the theoretical and social aspects of architecture while at the same time leveraging his existing mechanical engineering background.

Truth be told, I would have applied there for M.Arch I if I didn't have a strong preference for more urban locations. It is always worth it to give it a shot as early as possible, so have some fun with it!

If you decide to pursue architecture, always remember that there are many different and equally valid paths to becoming an architect. Depending on your personality and interests, studying architecture in undergrad may or may not be the best route to take.

Feb 27, 11 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sorry about the jr high thing...Jr in high school is even better. Get you some summer camp tail!!!

Feb 28, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: