Archinect
anchor

Blur Ribbons for All

headyshreddy

Why does everyone deserve a blue ribbon these days? What are we actually teaching our children, that tying and losing is okay? What ever happened to winning, is that not politically correct anymore?

Feb 12, 11 10:20 pm
headyshreddy

fuck! i have got to be the worst original poster out there, i need to get some damn glasses. I meant "Blue Ribbons for All"

Feb 12, 11 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields
Feb 12, 11 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

crap, because I started imagining a blurred ribbon parti for some new urban project when I first saw the post title...

Feb 13, 11 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

<1st place fail.img>

golfclap

Feb 13, 11 12:55 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

solid! i apologize. here i am talking about teaching children and i can't even spell blue. i truly enjoy the tough crowd here on archinect, glad you guys have a sense of humor. on a serious note however i am still interested in your thoughts...or...am i wasting time?

Feb 13, 11 2:41 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

It's just a management change, that's all.

Praise, recognition and expectation change frequently as both the philosophical and psychological aspects of them are understood.

Sometime during the 20th century, society as a whole has moved towards using differing techniques of operant conditioning. As we learn more about social structures and interpersonal communication, we've found that some aspects of operant conditioning are unsavory at best.

There's a greater focus on positive reinforcement. Only behaviors that are acceptable warrant praise, prize or recognition. All bad behaviors should be ignored and their stimulus removed rather than punished directly (known as negative punishment).

Older generations grew up in a time where good actions were rarely rewarded and bad actions 'rewarded' with corporal punishment. Motivation is related to pain.

Newer generations grew or are growing up in a time where only good actions are rewarded and bad actions met with removal, ignorance or indifference. Motivation is related to reward. Of course, this creates a culture where people are only motivated by direct financial, social or emotional gain.

Creatively, it leads to avoidance of tasks where little gain is made. Solutions to the problem are created as a way of positively avoiding what is overall a negative experience.

Feb 13, 11 3:02 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Basically, we're teaching children that trying and doing are the same thing. And that there's little negative consequences to trying.

Failure only comes from not doing anything at all.

Feb 13, 11 3:04 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

makes sense. i fear mediocrity.

Feb 13, 11 3:08 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I think this is just a case of poor perception skills. High school sports have never been more competitive in history of education. Parents are grooming their little Johnny Quarterbacks from an early age.

Do a google search on students transferring schools for athletic reasons. It's whack yo. Students wishing to transfer for academic reasons are absolutely dwarfed by star athletes looking to join a better team. Given the poor performance of education system, this is especially sad.

Becoming an engineer or a scientist isn't even a parental wish anymore. Idiocracy now.

So what if blue ribbons are given to every 7 year old participant in a soccer game? Tone it down a notch. You'll have a lifetime to practice on your sociopath skills. Physical fitness should be encouraged for all skill levels.

So in conclusion, "ribbons for everyone" is a herp-derp conservative talking point that illustrates how bleeding hear liberals have pussified America. Don't fall for it.

Feb 13, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Feb 13, 11 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

spacefraud, while blue ribbon syndrome is potentially a problem with young kids' development and understanding of effort and reward, I'm more concerned about it as it relates to graduating people from architecture school with a Master's degree.

Really.

Feb 13, 11 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Bringin' in some sass, Mrs. Sink!

Feb 14, 11 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Everybody is better at some things than other things. To work on activities that one is not so good in, a reward system is a good way to get that student/kid motivated and working on something they struggle with so they can become comfortable with it.

The alternative being that students who ignore what they struggle with (like in the good old days) will compensate for those inadequacies through LESS desirable avenues. What do you do when you aren't good at something? Bully, distract, rebel, lie, avoid, etc.

This is not to say that we shouldn't have competition and reward those that excell in certain tasks, that is important too. The blue ribbon philosophy you speak of is to motivate underperformers, not reward an outstanding performer, but people forget or get that confused.

Feb 14, 11 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

that would be excel, I hate spelling words wrong.

Feb 14, 11 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

agreed donna...i enjoy that sass as well haha

Feb 14, 11 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: