Archinect
anchor

HP laptop recs for running revit

Jefferson

I'm looking to buy a HP laptop (my wife's firm can get a good discount on their new models) and have no clue about specs...can someone let me know whether these models would run revit well (don't care about super fast rendering)...thanks very much

HP G62x series

4.3 out of 5 4.3 out of 5 stars (18 reviews)
One of the most popular laptops, this G62 series not only delivers a great price, but comes standard with serious computing power in an Intel Core i processor. Available in Charcoal color.

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-350M Processor (2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics
* FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
* 802.11b/g/n WLAN
* Up to 5.5 hours of battery life (6 cell)+++

or....

HP Pavilion dv6t series

3.8 out of 5 3.8 out of 5 stars (84 reviews)
Look cool and handle the toughest tasks with this 15" (diagonal) HD display laptop powered by Intel Core i processors and available in multiple colors

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-370M Dual Core Processor (2.40 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics
* 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
* Dolby(TM) audio + Altec Lansing speakers

Feb 10, 11 4:22 pm
dia

Jefferson, I am looking at an HP DV7 5003tx - 17incher. Not a hardcore workstation, but has the goods at a good price.

Feb 10, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

looks like that's 1,700?!

Feb 10, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Anything with a significant processor should work for Revit. Remember that graphics capability is only for moving (rotating, panning) a drawing.

Otherwise, the majority of the program relies on processing power and memory. And the same goes for rendering, too.

You might want to take a second look at laptops with Phenom chips. They're the several hundreds of dollars cheaper versions of i7s.

Most of Intel's chips are utter shit. You really have to go to PassMark to find out what their performance rating is. There's certain i3s and i5s that whoop ass... there's a lot that aren't even as good as a Core 2 Duo.

Feb 11, 11 2:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: