Archinect
anchor

Every human in developed world should watch HOME

Juncture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Please watch "Home" by Yann-Arthus Bertrand. The impoverished of the world are powerless; they languish within broken, unsustainable systems. They look to the US for leadership. Ironically, this film was screened for free in many Euro countries, but was blocked in the US. Please watch the movie and be the change you wish to see.

We are closer to enormous climate change than most people probably know. The permafrost is a ticking time bomb.

Feb 9, 11 9:23 pm
Rusty!

Just watched the film. It runs for roughly 93 minutes. So here is an Archinect exclusive review by yours truly!

"Home Alone 6- attack of the clones". Macaulay Culkin finally takes one up the ass from robots from the future! It was 90 minutes of rapey lolercoaster... wait... wrong movie?

Don't hang up yet! Lemme start from scratch...

"Home" by Yann-Arthus Bertrand is a beautiful movie. The cinematography is one of the most stunning I've seen (and I'm into nature bio-flicks). Digital color saturation was turned up to 11. My 9" VGA monitor was screaming from its speaker ears.

The narration (by some creepy lady) starts off kind of dopey, but as it progresses you will get sucked into the story. Everything presented in this movie is old news to people who like to read beyond the likes of NY Post and fox.com. Yet, so much horrible information presented in such a concise time frame will have you reaching for the closest razor-blade.

The film touches up on topics of architecture as well. China sucks (ha ha), Dubai sucks (hahaha!). We all suck in general. We are all horrible, manipulative, opportunistic asswipes. Our only cohesive goal is to release 10 million years worth of carbon deposits back into the atmosphere. Yum!

So this goes on for 88 minutes and then credits roll. I'm left to think: what am I supposed to do about this shit? Between the birthers and the truthers and libertarians and 'independents' I've all but thrown in the towel. Should I go kick someone's SUV? That SUV person has a job AND a car. I got neither. Who am I to judge?

But then, the credits stop and there is this 5 minutes of absolute optimism. "It's too late to be a pessimist" the creepy lady says. We must stop drilling and looking at the sun (not directly). Yay! By the end of the surprise-happy-ending I was ready to high five my chandelier. There is hope, and it must start now!

So grab your wife and/or husband and your 7 year old kid (9y/o if your afterbirth is kind of dumb) and enjoy this movie. A must see for your entire (revit) family!

In conclusion I give it 9 pritzkers (out of 16). Run don't walk to your nearest youtube!

I think I'm drunk.

Feb 10, 11 12:49 am  · 
 · 

rusty I thoroughly enjoyed your review.

Now I must go buy a chandelier so I can high-five it. I'll just throw away that perfectly functional blown glass fixture I have already because I can't get CFL bulbs for it and I must - must! - be green, even if it means buying more shit to make me so.

Juncture, thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it, and I don't have time today, but these are topics that many architects and architecture programs are finally started to actually take on.

Feb 10, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 

OK, I've been letting the movie run in the background while I work and every now and them I click over to look at it - visually it really is gorgeous.

Feb 10, 11 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Cinematography of this one gives "Planet Earth" run for its money. Which is a tall order. Shots of the cities and man-made environments is particularly stunning. I just wish they had someone like David Attenborough narrating it. It's definitively an all ages flick, which is good and bad. It's slow enough for your retarded father in law, but too slow for supergenius like yourself who just wants to get to the carnage part.

Feb 10, 11 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Juncture

David Attenborough will be out of a job in ten years when there's no more wildlife left to take video of except scavenger animals.

The reason I posted this is because it SHOWS the imminent peril we are in, not just as statistics, but as imagery with supporting facts. Yann-Arthus Bertrand has a fantastic eye, and roving the globe, he has produced a holistic view of what we are doing and where we are going.

This isn't some kind of distant issue for our grandchildren to solve with technology we haven't dreamt of yet. We will see the results of our labors on the environment in our lifetimes.

Please watch. Perhaps it will inspire some to put down the double cheeseburger - and the McMansion.

Feb 10, 11 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If the solution to our environmental perils is for everyone to put down their double cheeseburgers, then we are truly fucked. "I got mine" is the predominant political platform these days.

My only hope is that damage is reversible. Like the ozone and CFC issue (which worked out really well once we acted). Don't expect any meaningful action until five consecutive seasons of Florida oranges are completely ruined.

Feb 10, 11 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
steadyeddy

I think I just used up my fair share of energy watching this brilliant but thoroughly depressing movie. I think it deserves an Oscar. Spread the word!

P.S. I think the creepy lady narrator is Glenn Close (good choice).

Feb 10, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Juncture

rustystuds, you can't shove the methane back under the permafrost once it's out. This moment now is our reversible course. The horrors are on the screen. We are on the edge.

Humans need food, clothing, and shelter to survive. Architects assist in providing the shelter. We must insist on doing things in a way which is in harmony with our planet.

"If there's one thing to be worried about, it's the permafrost."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1liqk9UQNAQ

Feb 10, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I'm really at a point to where all I can say is "LOL." These problems are so absurdly complex that few understand the depth of their complexities.

Every item in the household or office now embodies a packaged political discourse 5 volumes in depth and a logistics chain that covers 3 or 4 continents.

Our particular brand of capitalism is built on bad operations and bad choices. Unfortunately, radical change will cost millions upon millions of their jobs. It's not to say that there won't be new jobs, new opportunities and new growth.

The video demonstrates that complexity that everyone practices deforestation-- palm oil for foods and cosmetics, eucalyptus for paper and wood for charcoal.

The example is gives after this segment will be our future-- Haiti.

A country stripped of resources, a country to poor to manage itself and a country unable to provide the most basic necessities of modern life.

The weather and rain stripping the land of its last productivity. The silt, moving its way along the slopes, ends up in the ocean where it too suffocates the ocean. A growing desert, above the water and below, increases scarcity with every year.

As the top soil clears, the layers of sand and organic matter too start to disappear. The surface becomes hard, rocky and another problem begins to appear. Underneath the layer of sand, silt and humus lies layers of compact stratification-- in these layers of clay and chalk lies deposits of salts. As the landscape further erodes, the increase of salinity in the remaining soil poisons any last hope the land may have held.

And then all you have left is nothing.

Feb 10, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Unfortunately there are just too many stupid people in charge who don't believe this or understand the immediacy of action. We are a reactive society at a big picture, not a proactive...
I hope in the coming years people get their heads out of their asses and make some serious reform...

Feb 10, 11 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

actually Strix I think it is pretty simple. If the video is right and we do nothing we will have catastrophic problems. If we take precautions and they were unnecessary it only creates small problems with the economy that would rapidly sort themselves out.

The general population is too stupid to figure this out. Maybe I sound like an ahole for saying it. The average american can tell you all about the past 7 seasons of American Karaoke or the sex lives of everyone in Hollywood. Try to have an intelligent discussion with them about anything that truly effects their life and see how it goes. Add in the government schills for corporations and the faux news fanatics who react to talk about climate change like you insulted their mother and it isn't surprising nothing gets done.

Feb 10, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

^^^ totally agree...btw, why do you think this happened to the american public? are they just bored? why has it become such a vapid, empty society?

Feb 10, 11 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Jefferson: "why has it become such a vapid, empty society?"

Thomas Jefferson! We've been waiting for your return! Look at these imbecilles rolling in their own poop. Do somethin'!

But seriously. Americans are losing their shit. No idea why. Too much HFCS in the diet? Anyone?

Feb 10, 11 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

In my mind, the two 1st world countries with the stupidest populations are Great Britain & the States. Both countries are dominated by tabloid-culture journalism... I really think the decline of meaningful journalism & the near-constant bombardment of attention-grabbing sound bites (politicizing everything down to sliced bread) have created a shallow, emotional, and agressively reactive viewership.

You go to France and watch their news and you're blown away. They only have a handful of channels to begin with, and almost no one has cable. There are only a few short commercials every 1/2 hour, with none in between. The news presents lengthy, in-depth pieces and digs deep, thoughtfully questioning each guest, showing both preparation and an ability to get to down to the point. The President of the country will frequently stop by news shows and literally sit and answer the journalist's probing questions for a full 20 minutes or so. The first time I saw this I was amazed - then I realized he (and many high-level politicians) did this routinely. There are no shallow, flippant answers - just thoughtful, reflective questioning and answers. I'm sure there's still political BS buried in there, but what respect it shows a viewer with the President really honestly seeks to come and explain his/her actions to the public, at length? You have to have a longer attention span as a viewer too, and you get a more complex and thoughtful presentation of most topics. The same thing happens in Germany, I know, and I've heard Scandinavia as well.

*That's not to say the French don't have some real dolts in their populace as well. And, obviously, reactive people, and racists, and xenophobes, and anti-intellectuals and all that. But that kind of discourse is fringe in their country. Here it is center-stage. You couldn't find something different if you TRIED (and believe me, I have). When we're not bombarded by political bs sound bites, it's corporate advertising. Most of what we see and hear is fed to us by some PR person or other. They are crafting our education much more than our education system is.

Feb 11, 11 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Jefferson

^^^ mantaray...interesting to hear.
Do people think the new American and British cultures are so far gone that there's no way to turn it around and get back to a media culture like this? Sounds very interesting. I guess that the attention span of these individuals would have to improve drastically.
I remember I would gaze upon the world from Monticello with my own eyes and not through my tv like so many people do...

Feb 11, 11 10:53 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

A better attention span would solve about 0.01% of the problem. Corporations spend millions on PR to spin everything. Even when found guilty and forced to pay fines it doesn't hurt their bottom line. JP Morgan was recently accused of breaking the law by overcharging active duty soldiers. You would think in this country where "support our troops" is practically a religious doctrine that they would lose a considerable amount of business. The truth is anything more than a bumper sticker on your car is just too inconvenient for people. i really didn't look into the story because I have no business with JP Morgan and even if they were guilty nobody would do anything about it when I told them.

Feb 11, 11 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

You guys watch way too much TV. That movie is very hollywood -sensationalized and shallow.

Feb 11, 11 11:20 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yes I started thinking about all this myself when I started doing some work for a PR company here and there. Fascinatingly different perspective on the world. Really eye-opening to realize just how much PR spin influences what we see/hear. Even in straight newspapers like the WaPo, Times...
Yes well the corporate strangehold on this country is staggering. Another difference between us and the rest of the 1st world... I agree this is a huge part of the problem, for sure.

Feb 11, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"That movie is very hollywood -sensationalized and shallow."

The french documentary linked at the top of the page?

I blame Eurodisney!

Feb 11, 11 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

hollywood as a descriptor - meaning sensationalized.

Feb 11, 11 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I tell you what, I can save the world. I got jobs for all of the unemployed! We can all be organic strawberry farmers! You would have to relocate to a rural area, take a non-glamorous labor job working outside for really low pay that wears you out and ruins your back, but I will employ you and the world will be saved. And we will all have fresh food, water, AND jobs.

Feb 11, 11 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"hollywood as a descriptor - meaning sensationalized."

The movie was dumbed down for the English audiences. Take that as you will.

The movie is also made so that kids can follow it. Which part is sensationalized? Info presented appears to be in line with everything else I ever read (outside of NY Post and fox.com).

Perhaps there is no way to present this type of information to you in a way you would find it agreeable? We all have biases.

Feb 11, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"I tell you what, I can save the world. I got jobs for all of the unemployed! We can all be organic strawberry farmers! You would have to relocate to a rural area, take a non-glamorous labor job working outside for really low pay that wears you out and ruins your back, but I will employ you and the world will be saved. And we will all have fresh food, water, AND jobs."

Oh I see. You didn't actually watch the movie. :)

Feb 11, 11 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I was just agreeing with the stunning cinematography comment you made earlier, rusty. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Feb 11, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Don't get your panties in a bunch."

Impossible. I go commando on Fridays.

Feb 11, 11 11:43 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

A lot of people tend to forget that this isn't a new development-- it has always been like this.

Pick up some newspaper clippings from 100 years ago and you're more than likely to find the following: salacious gossip, obvious political wrangling, a shallow instructional article, pandering local interest piece and an advertisement for beer.

New-York tribune. April 28, 1887

*Lord of Canada is a bad man for illegally raising rents
*Newspapers refuse to take money from the evil Crown government even though they are only wishing to advertise to offer a reward to solve a string of murders
*If Canada doesn't get along, Prince Edward Island will secede
*Journalist jailed in Romania for 2 years for calling king an 'egoist'
*British are afraid if home rule is granted to Ireland, it'll become a mini America
*Musician fails to live up to contract, gets sued
*Woman sues company because husband was killed by tarp thrown out window
*Company found guilt of selling fraudulent foreign bonds
*Expensive property sold
*Bicyclists trying to get permission to ride on roads
*Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on tax reforms
*Priest charged with "intemperance", "improper conversation" and basically being a Kraut

It really is nothing new.

Feb 11, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Juncture

Adapt or die, indeed.

Here's some media that *does* speak to your intellectual level, and more: It asks for proactive behavior from each of us.
http://news.discovery.com/earth/methane-leak-permafrost-arctic.html

Speaking of things that *are* new,

On March 25, 2008 a 160 square mile chunk of the Wilkins Ice Shelf in Antartica disintegrated. This loss, about *7 times the size of Manhattan*, puts an even larger portion of the glacial ice shelf at risk.

British Antarctic Survey scientist David Vaughn predicted that the northern part of the Wilkins ice shelf would likely collapse 15 years from now. About 4% of the shelf now collapsed and scientists discovered the rest of the shelf is beginning to break away from the continent.

Scientists believe that Greenland, with its melting ice caps and disappearing glaciers, is an accurate thermometer of global warming.

Virtually everyone agrees that the complete disappearance of the 2-mile-thick Greenland Ice Sheet would cause an estimated 23-foot rise in global sea levels.

Greenland Ice Sheet's annual loss has risen from 21.6 cubic miles in 1996 to 36 cubic miles in 2005.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1726292_1556601,00.html#ixzz1DfpgtUMoi

Feb 11, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Tarnished

The 1887 news clippings seem more relevant than who was voted off dancing with the stars, which geriatric movie star just got a boob job, and pics of some celebriskank stealing Rusty's thunder by going commando in her Friday night photo op.

Feb 11, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Juncture, scientists believe the volcanic action in the area of the Wilkins ice shelf may have something to do with the disintegration of the ice shelf. Google it.

Feb 11, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

"Virtually everyone agrees that the complete disappearance of the 2-mile-thick Greenland Ice Sheet would cause an estimated 23-foot rise in global sea levels."

And virtually everyone also believes it will never happen.

Feb 11, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: