Archinect
anchor

2003 B.Arch, now considering M.F.A. in ceramics

artsygirl

Hi everyone.

I used to post around here years ago, but it's been a while now since I've been around archinect.

I have a B.Arch & practiced from 2003-2009. Of course, now, I'm not working & life has changed. I'm really into ceramic art now & applied for a M.F.A. program emphasizing in ceramics. I'm mostly doing it because it makes me very happy and is a great way to express my need to create. Plus, I love the science and art in ceramics.

So, I keep thinking, if I do this...go back to grad school, what is possible after I get my M.F.A.?

Do you think I could potentially teach architectural design at a university with an MFA + B.Arch?

I've never really been interested in getting my M.Arch, but the M.F.A. is something that's really attractive to me. I think it would be great to teach and be a studio artist. I know I'd be more than qualified to teach art studios (minus the intense competition to get a teaching job).

Just curious.

Feb 7, 11 1:20 am
phld21

Still a BARCH student here. I'm less sure about now, but a few years ago I had a studio professor that had a BARCH + MFA. She was an awesome professor, but she was disappointed that they kept her as an adjunct... and filled full-time positions with other outside critics.

I also had a professor with a BARCH + MFA who was recently hired full-time, but she is also in the middle of completing her PHD. I think the universities are continually raising their hiring criteria. Personally I wish I had more professors that were practicing architects, but then that really strains their time and attention.

Good Luck.

Feb 7, 11 9:22 am  · 
 · 
artsygirl

I am just thinking it probably depends on the school & of course the quality of my experience & work.

Who knows. I still have to start my M.F.A. Thanks!

Feb 7, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
binary

MFA is a terminal degree so you should be able to teach at most places.... i have a 5year b.a. arch and finishing up my MFA in design..... i plan on teaching hence the masters degree...

Feb 7, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

I think, like you said, it is highly dependent on where you go. I minored in Studio Arts from a Big Ten school that barely funded the program and had the whole department holed up in a decrepit old building which has since been demolished. Let me reemphasize Big Ten school. I can't imagine what it might be like at some lesser-funded schools. The University was literally shamed into building the department a new facility. This is a campus with development bursting at the seams, mind you, and they wouldn't take it upon themselves to toss a few pennies to the arts. Birds lived in the rafters above our heads. As far as I remember, none of the instructors I had were anything more than adjunct faculty and nearly all seemed to be the solo starving artist type, not particularly well off. The graphic design programs had certainly better facilities, but nothing special and most instructors there were practicioners too, I believe. Teaching art & design doesn't necessarily seem any more stable than a career in architecture, though undoubtedly less haughty & stuffy and probably more interesting. I might actually suggest teaching high school might be a more financially stable option. As far as teaching architectural design, I think you'll find it awfully hard to find a spot teaching studio without an M.Arch or practicing. Visualization courses might be a possibility, though. But I can't see getting tenured teaching just those.

Here's a brainstorm: Use your interest in ceramics and tie it back to architecture to create a company specializing in custom installations of mosaic designs.

Feb 8, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: