Archinect
anchor

Vancouver: Ease of relocation

couvercooter

Hello I'm new Here. I have seen pictures of Vancouver and read up on the city and it's culture and it looks like a place that is doing very well and has a great quality of life and nice buildings to look at and I would like to live there. It has recently come to my attention that Vancouver is not in America but is located in Canada above Seattle which is cool. So my question is can American citizens go wherever they want in Canada or do you need a passport to move there? Have any members of this forum ever moved to Vancouver? Did you find it easy to do, and if so did you drive a truck and was it able to be dropped off there like U haul or something? Is there a special process to pass into Canada like a special toll booth or gate?

Feb 4, 11 10:27 pm
Rusty!
"Is there a special process to pass into Canada like a special toll booth or gate?"

"It has recently come to my attention that Vancouver is not in America"

You can try, but I'm not sure they'd let you move your trailer home up there.

Feb 5, 11 2:17 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

how pale is the cooter up there?

Feb 5, 11 4:30 am  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

If you wanted to move to America's Vancouver instead, you could go to that one. It's near Portland, so yeah (although it's considered pretty suburban by Northwestern standards). It'll probably be less expensive, and you still get some nice scenery.

Anyways...Vancouver is way expensive. If you're an architect already, this site could help: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

Feb 5, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
couvercooter

Thank you for the link provided. I am surprised I would need a permit to work there. I see Canadians all the time in America working so I thought it would be like going to Minnesota where just about everyone in Minnesota is Canadian or similar. Ive been to Wisconsin and they all sound Canadian too. This could be complicated. Do you think they need architects in Canada or do they just do it without designers? Rusty, your response is rude. If you cant contribute you should not participate.

Feb 5, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
couvercooter

Also about transportation to Vancouver as stated above: Can you rent U-Hauls and drop them in Canada? I assume they have all the same service businesses we have? Starbucks, U-Haul, Kinkos etc?

Feb 5, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Before you enter Canada you'll have to pay the troll toll.

Feb 5, 11 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Is this for real? Did you just hear about these "Canadians" last week or something?

Feb 5, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Canada, the maple leaf state. Live free or take off eh?

Feb 5, 11 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
couvercooter

Look, I just would like information about moving and the experience people have. I thought it was like moving to another state but its actually like moving to another country so there is bound to be surprises and culture shocks and hidden fees.

Feb 5, 11 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I saw the Walkmen open for The National in Vancouver

Feb 5, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

its not LIKE moving to another country it IS moving to another country.

culture shock? only if you persist in the idea that canada is an un-documented state of some stripe. you should try suggesting the idea at a bar sometime once you get to canada.

moving is easy as country-hopping goes. on the legal side check with the consulate or embassy closest to you and find out what you need to get a work permit or visa. Am sure there are particular hoops to jump through but its got to be easier than trying to move to europe....

Feb 5, 11 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Rusty Don't be a knob eh. Stop ruining the thread you hoser.

Feb 5, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

couvercooter Just tell em you play hockey and drink Elsinore beer by the case. You'll be on the fast track for immigration after that.

Feb 5, 11 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

c'mon guys, this is definitely a joke.

Feb 5, 11 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

"but its got to be easier than trying to move to europe"

Judging by some research and "what people have said on the internet," it's apparently like 1,000 times easier to move to Canada than it is most countries in Europe. 3,000 times easier if one of those countries is the UK or Denmark.

Apparently, the UK really cracked down on illegal Americans there sometime this decade.

Feb 5, 11 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Judging by some research and "what people have said on the internet,"

It must be true then.

I think Euro countries are starting to treat Americans the way Americans are treating Euros. I remember prior to 9/11 NYC was chock full of artsy Euros on all kinds of work/tourist/student visas. After some immigration policy juggling, they just all stopped coming over. They were eventually replaced by Ohio hipsters.

I'm still not sure which group sucked more...

Feb 5, 11 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Rustystuds, now I KNOW you're lying. Ain't no hipsters from Ohio, that would be imply that something about Ohio was hip! ;)

"I thought it was like moving to another state but its actually like moving to another country"

Are you serious? Maybe its like moving to another country because its actually moving to another country.

Feb 5, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Ain't no hipsters from Ohio"

Ohio is a generic term I use for entire midwest (sorry midwest!). Take a pasty farmer's son/daughter, stick them in a pair of skinny jeans and cut their hair with a fork. Add PBR. That's all there is to being a NYC hipster.

Coincidently, there are no hipsters in Canada. Skinny jeans lead to genital frostbite, and a 12 pack of PBR costs 80 bucks.

Feb 5, 11 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Actually, PBR is the cheapest beer in the Ontario BeerStores. We all drink it in college just because we can't really afford something else!

Feb 5, 11 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Culture shock - Bud is considered "imported" beer up there and costs more than the good Canadian stuff.

Feb 5, 11 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Actually, PBR is the cheapest beer in the Ontario BeerStores. We all drink it in college just because we can't really afford something else!

Feb 5, 11 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

jbush: Canadian Bud is brewed in Canada. Still tastes like shit, but slightly differently so.

BenC: I just moved back to Toronto after pillaging down south for a decade or so. Culture shock - beer selection in Ontario is downright horrible. I'm sorry but Beck's is not a premium beer. Canada seems to have missed out on the beer revolution that happened in States. I'm thirsty for a pint of a real IPA as I write this, but there appears to be no such thing up here. Fin Du Monde is an awesome Canadian beer if you can find it, but that's about it. The rest is an ocean of crappy pilsners and watery ales.

Feb 5, 11 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Hmm, I would agree that Ontario's beer selection is less than stellar now having lived in Nova Scotia for 6 months now. Out here its great; quite a bit more expensive unfortunately, but just about everything is a craft brew of sorts, which I am quite happy about.

Feb 5, 11 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

That's great about Nova Scotia. They should send some of that sweet, sweet nectar down here. What I miss the most is specialty beer stores that are stocked with thousands of imports. Provincial monopoly controlled beer stores carry beers from 90 different breweries. Which sounds like a lot until you realize only half of these are offered at any given location. About 30 of these offerings can not be purchased anywhere in Toronto.

Anyways, back to making fun couvercooter. Or is he making fun of us? The internets can be such a complicated mistress sometimes.

Feb 6, 11 12:02 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Rustystuds,

one of the best skinny hipster jean companies, http://www.nakedandfamousdenim.com/ , is Canadian

Feb 7, 11 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

This is precisely why i've stayed away from archinect for quite a while. Sounds to me more like couvercooter's an international student or something. If that's the case:

- Canada, US, and Mexico are part of a free trade agreement where certain professions/qualifications allow their respective nationals freedom to work in any of the three countries simply by presenting a job offer letter at the border and asking for a visa under the free trade program - for Canadians going to the US to work, it's called the TN visa and I've gotten one before with no problem

- i don't think the program covers foreign nationals (ie. non-Canadians/Americans/Mexicans) who want to move from one country to another though, but I could be wrong

- yes, Canada is a separate country, with a border that requires you show a passport - even Americans, ever since the new post 9/11 rules - this keeps the riff raff out for the most part

- yes, we have Starbucks, McDonald's, and many of the big names you have down south

- no, we don't have In and Out Burger, Chick-Fil-A and many of the big names you have down south

- you'll need to get a better grasp of North American geography and culture to really make it worthwhile moving up here

- for everyone else, try Red Truck beer if you ever get up to Vancouver: http://www.redtruckbeer.com/ontap.asp

Feb 9, 11 12:12 am  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

BTW, on my first trip to Vegas, when my cab driver found out I was from Canada he asked if I was an Eskimo. No joke.

Hence, I've never since underestimated the ability of some folk down south to say the dumbest things while being well-intentioned.

Feb 9, 11 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

spaceman:"Sounds to me more like couvercooter's an international student or something"

Yes. He (she?) is looking to drive a U-haul from Sri Lanka to Vancouver.

"This is precisely why i've stayed away from archinect for quite a while."

Why? Can you show us on this teddybear where archinect previously touched you?

Look, the OP is clearly having some fun at the expense of Canada. What's Canada going to do about it? Bomb the Baldwins again? "Do you think they need architects in Canada or do they just do it without designers". Comedy gold!

We've covered Vancouver in another thread. But to recap:

-Beautiful city, but the architecture scene is kind of mediocre.
-Vancouver design firms are very insular. Most job posts you will find through AIBC ask for local experience candidates only. They don't like rest of Canadians let alone Americans or overseas architects. YMMV

Feb 9, 11 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Judging that the OP asked if American Citizens can move there, my guess is that (s)he is indeed American and therefore deserves at least some playful poking for those questions, if not ridicule (regardless of it being a joke or not).

Feb 9, 11 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: