Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Death

vanorsal

Please check out this video of a project completed in a masters of architecture studio dealing with death and architecture.

This project repurposes an existing structure into a transitional home for an aging population and uses as its starting point the fact that death is inevitable and that coming to grips with one's mortality is an essential part of living an authentic life. Such an exploration is important at any stage of life but becomes increasingly poignant as one ages and approaches their own ends.

Jan 25, 11 5:57 pm
TheMasterBuilder

I don't really see where death comes into play with this concept. I mean, to me, it just looks like another deconstructivist building that was (pretty needlessly) torn apart (down to the columns?) and rebuilt in a way that looks pretty brutal.

I guess the wandering journey through the building is supposed to resemble the way a person wanders through life. It all looks kinda cool, but for a MARCH project, it seems a little too conceptual. I'd expect an entire building for a masters, with a fully thought out circulation system, mechanical systems, or at least an idea of where they are or how they work.

Lastly, I would think that while staring down death, a person would want to be in a comfortable environment. I'd imagine a large soft bed, bright interiors, views of sky, water and nature, and spaces for contemplationa and meditation that don't include a lot of stairs or jagged protrusions. An elderly person wouldn't be able to move around easily, especially if they're dying. It sounds like they visited a nursing home, based on what you hear at the begining of the movie. I think that the person who did this should have paid a visit to a hospice, to see the real face of impending death.

Jan 26, 11 1:31 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams
coming to grips with one's mortality is an essential part of living an authentic life.

this is very insightful. unfortunately, i got nothing from your project that really explores this idea. instead i felt like i was playing resident evil with no zombies and random cuts to plans and sections. i think this video is absolutely the wrong way to explore your thesis. it is lifeless and inhuman; i think the opposite of what you are trying to explore.

Jan 26, 11 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

So, you're telling me in this video that you, personally, would like to spend you're last days on earth in a concrete tomb? Because no one else does.

Jan 26, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

this is a big "uh oh" for academia

Jan 26, 11 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Ouch guys. I like the spaces, I did my thesis on a pretty similar topic (a funeral complex), and I really do give you credit for taking up the challenge of trying to do a project about death that doesn't live in denial, that doesnt desperately attempt to divert everyones eyes from inevitable entropy. I guess I am with some of the people above wondering where exactly it does live. Its a tough tightrope, between acknowledging and accepting death and having a kind of grotesque morbid fixation on it.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more? what youre up to in those negative spaces?

Jan 26, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

ha, i like the blues

Jan 26, 11 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: