Archinect
anchor

Principals and partners: A favor to ask?

St. George's Fields

I've been seeing some jobs opening up a lot more frequently for jack-of-all-trades cleverly disguised as "marketing manager" or "director of marketing."

These positions tend to straddle the office side of things in addition to their marketing demands from general office management to graphic design to client interaction to running errands. I have little worry about performing those tasks even though they're extracurricular to the job title.

I am a little worried, however, about the marketing aspect. I have worked in general office environments as well as advertising, graphic design and in the communications field.

The issue? The majority of these positions tend to look for someone with anywhere from 3 to 15 years experience. And some of the positions I've seen advertised actually have really broad requirements.

I have a lot of years of experience in things relating to it but not so much actual experience marketing architect. I've placed or won maybe architecture 4 or 5 competitions... So, I have a feeling that the process is relatively similar to a competition entry.

Basically, I would like to ask a favor.

I'm going to put together a bundle of things I know how to do: general print advertisement, building board (for construction), proposal, "project newsletter" and perhaps a faux-press release about completion.

Probably 8-10 pages max. I will probably use another firms project from ArchDaily or another website that's not my own architectural work. I find it is always easier to sell something that's not your own created work. That and I don't think content creation is really important in showcasing this skill.

I would like a critique. Am I doing it right? Is it worth anything to a business? Is there any specific formula for marketing architecture?

I've done some journal and academic book reading on the subject over the last few days. It doesn't really seem all that different from advertising and marketing in general.

Jan 24, 11 1:23 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: