Archinect
anchor

Any luck with Senior positions in NYC?

I´m licensed, have a master, 12+ years experience and just returned from working 8 years in Spain, where the entire industry has disappeared (really) finding it nearly impossible to get interviews in New York. Not sure if it´s due to lack of jobs or offices are more likely looking for people with less experience (cheaper). Not to imply that junior level people don´t need work just as badly but does anyone have an uplifting story of a senior architect being hired? Thanks.

Jan 22, 11 1:17 am
silber

senior positions are harder to come by but not impossible. there is a common pattern that has emerged since the downturn:

during the boom times, many big firms were on a hiring frenzy, and architects at all levels (including senior) jumped to different offices, leaving openings that were then filled with less experienced people eager to advance fast but with slightly lesser salaries than the shoes they were filling.

when firms start shedding, they do cut minions, but they really want to shed higher earners (seniority that's not politically backed). however, the firm then starts hiring junior level first thinking that you can just throw more manpower that costs less on a job to get it done. when management realizes (if they have the chance to before completely nosediving) that they've basically got "senior" people who have spotty experience not managing projects very well, then maybe you'll see an acknowledgement in hiring practices that: you can do better with fewer people if those people have more solid knowledge, management and experience. so - it could happen, not sure when.

Jan 26, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Piercy | architect

silber, thanks for the positive thinking, and i completely conquer with your explanation. i am getting plenty of interest, however no takers, many times being told flat out that the office is looking for someone with less experience- quite frustrating. thanks again.

Jan 26, 11 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

The architecture has no real logic. You can speculate all you want... but there really is no rhyme and reason.

Architecture, as a profession, is not organized like many other professions. Sure, you have a handful of organizations that offer tips, advice and some actual reading... but their suggestions are often outdated.

That might be because architecture is a slower process tangible to the length it takes to complete projects. It could be because it is stuck 40 years in the past ideologically. It could also be due to the organizational hierarchies and qualities that many firms traditionally choose.

But it seems firms really react to hearsay more than anything else. But that's what happens when you live in a land of 200 princes but no king.

Jan 27, 11 3:50 am  · 
 · 

Uxbridge, please explain "stuck 40 years in the past ideologically". and is your final comment referring to an egalitarian or democratic structure to which we abide? great philosophical comments. i was really looking for simple, first-hand reports on whether people with a certain experience were being hired right now.

Jan 27, 11 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

I was previously working for an NYC firm that has experienced a mass exodus of its staff and a lot of the senior staffers have landed good jobs at other firms. However, all of them either A) spent 6+ months looking for a job, or B) had specialized experience in a particular market sector (healthcare and S+T are the two big ones).

Jan 27, 11 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

medusa, that´s my understanding of the situation as well. since my experience is neither of those two sectors, i fall into the first category, now working on about month number 4. thanks.

Jan 27, 11 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: