Archinect
anchor

architects are kickers (football)

olaf design ninja

It occurred to me the other day, the voice in my head (jesus or something) that the Architect is the place kicker on the football team for the following absolutely fully researched and logically founded reasons:

1. Construction industry is like war - we mobilize spec format 00000, right after we stratigize

2.As per George Carlin football is like war and hence much better than baseball

3. Designed Construction is like American war - demo the hell out of a nation and rebuild it our way

4. The football team is equal to the people behind making a building happen and breaks down as follows:

- Quarterback - owner/client5eveloper, they make the project happen from top down. Trumps and Durst are the Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings...
- Running Backs - construction and project managers - faster faster faster and if you have to just lower your head and run the problem over...spin move and stiff arm
- linemen - subcontrsctors
- wide receivers and tight ends - engineers and technical consultants, integral part to the big score - touchdowns, they carry the idea into reality
- linebackers - DOB commisioners and controlled inspectors
- d backs - DOB examiners

- place kickers - architects, its debatable if they are really needed but occasionally can put some points on the board (good design and ideas) and sometimes the key decision, winning game moment comes down to them

I played running back, linebacker, and place kicker. I can tell you by all accounts both in high school and when trying to walk on in college the kicker was a defeatist personality and got their balls busted by the other guys all the time.

The kicker is also an elitist as he or even she (women in construction?) might play soccer and know a thing or two about Europe.

So there you have it, as you watch the super bowl and the announcers discuss the point of kickers in the game of football you will know who they are talking about. and if the kicker makes a tackle you might get a comment like "he is a football player even though he is a kicker " e.g. "He is an architect but he knows his details"...

Jan 21, 11 9:34 pm
olaf design ninja

#5 - forgot this point. when the building is built (touchdown scored) the architect kicks the extra point (sign-offs)

football=construction
kicker=architect

Jan 21, 11 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

quote:
1. Construction industry is like war - we mobilize spec format 00000, right after we stratigize

That is so 1995. It should read master spec format 00 00 00.

Also, there are rules in football to protect the kicker. Not sure we have those right now...

Thanks.

Jan 21, 11 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Sweets catalogs...
Just no late hits on kickers, there should be a law that says if after 15 years architect not responsible for anything.

Jan 22, 11 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

If building is like football and the architect is the kicker, I am the Ray Finkle of architects.

"LACES OUT!!!"

Jan 22, 11 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

Ray finkle as in ace ventura or the real ray finkle? Haha either way
Yes oldfogey I am working on graphics here

Jan 24, 11 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Whitehouse
It occurred to me the other day, the voice in my head (jesus or something) that the Architect is the place kicker on the football team for the following absolutely fully researched and logically founded reasons:

- place kickers - architects, its debatable if they are really needed but occasionally can put some points on the board (good design and ideas) and sometimes the key decision, winning game moment comes down to them

So there you have it, as you watch the super bowl and the announcers discuss the point of kickers in the game of football you will know who they are talking about. and if the kicker makes a tackle you might get a comment like "he is a football player even though he is a kicker " e.g. "He is an architect but he knows his details"...

Good idea to compare the both. But maybe it doesn't matter where, what or for who you're working, maybe there are very often parallels between human behaviour (also working behaviour) and war...
Mar 23, 11 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

your analogy ignores the army of coaches you have in football. Also kickers hardly do any work, something architects can only dream of.

I'd love to give you props for this, but I think you need to go back to the drafting table and start from scratch.

maybe you'd be more comfortable with a car analogy?

Mar 23, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: