Archinect
anchor

PDX interview question

mangus_m

what's the accepted interview uniform in Portland?
Full suit? all-black sprockets outfit? flannel & gore-tex?

joking aside, i've got an interview later this week and wanted to bounce this off the portland folk that peruse this board. i've always worn a suit in the past for jobs out on the east coast, but pdx seems so much more relaxed in so many ways that i'm afraid i'll just be screaming "out-of-towner" if i show up all spiffy.

tia.
.mango out.

Nov 16, 04 5:27 pm
sameolddoctor

idio *

Nov 16, 04 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
mangus_m

que?

Nov 16, 04 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I've worn a tie before, but I felt overdressed. I think slacks and a button down shirt, maybe a sweater depending on your preference (I am assuming you are male) should be fine. I think most firms in town, even the larger corporate types are fine with "dressy casual" for an interview. If it's a smaller firm, I'd definitely go more casual.

I've always heard as a good rule of thumb, to be dressed as nice or slightly nicer than your interviewer. Very few people in the portland architecture community wear ties unless they are going to a formal presentation or client meeting..

that's my experience anyway.

Nov 16, 04 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

full tux. make an impression.

oh - and watch the .mango out business. That dog won't hunt.

Nov 16, 04 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

just wear the suit. it's a safe bet and there's plenty of conservatives in this architecture crowd.

if you've met the person before or know someone who has, then you'd be safe to dress down.

a nice suit.....not too stiff though....is a always a safe bet

Nov 16, 04 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree with pencrush. while i have not worked/lived in portland, i have been on both sides of it >> san francisco and seattle. wearing a tie might be a little too much. you should look good and most importantly, don't be something you're not. i've never worn a tie and that has never hurt me.

Nov 16, 04 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
iZNOF

What firm is the interview at?

Nov 16, 04 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
o+

..you have to dress to the firm. a starchitect i used to work for said after interviewing a guy .. " wow, a suit. i'd never hire a guy in a suit."

rule of thumb, though, whether its corporate=suit, boutique=prada, or whatever, stick to dark grey or black.

Nov 17, 04 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

o+, while i understand that you may not get the job if you don't fit in, you should still be true to who you are and not become something you are not. like i said, i've never worn a suit and it never hurt me. i've worked a full range of places from the corporate >> polshek, nbbj to boutiques >> paulett taggart architects to the inbetween >> frog design.

in bruce mau's incomplete manifesto for growth [which is great if you haven't read it, he says in point 14 >> don't be cool. cool is conservative fear dressed in black. free yourself from limits of this sort.

Nov 18, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: