Archinect
anchor

RIP Detlef Mertins

I just received the following email from Marilyn Jordan Taylor, Dean of PennDesign.

Dear Members of the PennDesign community,

With deepest sadness, I write to let you know that our extraordinary colleague Professor Detlef Mertins passed away yesterday, January 14, 2011.

Detlef’s contributions to our school, to us collectively and individually, and to the fields of architecture history and theory are of immense and lasting value. The loss of his presence among us is immeasurable and, at this moment, impossible to grasp.

I have spoken with Keller Easterling, who asked that we respect the families’ need for a quiet time. There will be a memorial service in the spring, when we will join many others in celebrating Detlef’s work, including the recently published G and his forthcoming volume on Mies van der Rohe, as well as his many gifts to us all.

Marilyn Jordan Taylor
Dean and Paley Professor
School of Design
University of Pennsylvania

This is an unfortunate loss for Penn and architecture in general. I just wish that I had the opportunity to meet him, but unfortunately his illness has kept him away from teaching for my entire tenure here in Philadelphia.

Jan 14, 11 2:55 pm

Wow. I love his writings - indeed, a loss for the community at large.

Detlef, Robyn Evans.... Frampton getting up there in age.... a generation of critics is passing on.... very sad to think of.

Jan 14, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I had him for theory back in 2004. He will be missed.

Jan 14, 11 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

wow. im sorry to hear this news. he took over the dept during my last year, but i did speak with him several times, heard him lecture, and had a very positive impression of him. very sad.

Jan 18, 11 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
ldesorcy

I met Detlef in the offices of Baird and Sampson when I was a student in the summer of 83. He was quietly researching for George on what would be the "Space of Appearance". We immediately connected on our love of good food, Toronto and its great modern buildings. In the years since then he has been a good friend and mentor. I have never met anyone with such drive, intellect and rigour in his public life who also was such a warm, giving and compassionate man. The University of Toronto has been shaped by his skillful planning for the graduate programs, and the culture of Architecture and Urban Design in Canada changed for the better from his work.
I miss him already.
As Gerry said he was the real deal

Jan 31, 11 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: