Archinect
anchor

anyone want to share your own strategy for doing competition?

cmrhm

I will share mine if everyone open up your minds.

Jan 10, 11 12:20 pm
headyshreddy

begin early with writing. edit, edit, edit until there is a comfortable design for the design, by that i mean process or technique, i.e. montage.

writing is a good place to go when design block occurs. forms appear and disappear along with materials and construction methods to further complete the given task. i usually work full week, off a week, full week, off week, then presentation. thats just my practice, im not even sure if its the best way for me to do it but oh well.

Jan 10, 11 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I am using iPhone currently. If there is any confusing, that is because I can't type fast and long.

Jan 10, 11 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Interesting space fraud. Do u mean writing for the concept in the beginjng like what Maya Lin does?

I mostly was involved in a team environment, I properly will share my experience and strategy on this area.

Jan 10, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

strongly provoke a position on the subject and believe in it!

Jan 10, 11 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Any example? Could be the obervation of other people's work.

Jan 10, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Let the data and site speak for itself. Generate the legally required volume.

Build from there.

Jan 10, 11 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

spacefraud, i like that idea... one intense week on, then one week off. maybe working on a project unrelated to architecture.

Jan 10, 11 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

start with a strong idea, and develop it in a consequent way. Then present is clearly and conchise. Not the best designs tend to win competitions, but the designs that are understandable and legible do.

Jan 10, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

umm actually i am not familiar with maya lins process. just something i enjoy, the literature and philosophy of architecture not numbers and parametric orgasms. by doing this you control the variables without solving them. i enjoy the mystery i guess. however, it is one of those things you really have to stick by and be disciplined about. otherwise, the variables become something else.

Jan 11, 11 3:15 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Now at the end of 2013, two years later, i co-led my team to compete with some big names for a mixed-use highrise project in china. Luckily we won. I would like to share several points i gained during this process.

we use an urban design strategy to generate our big idea.  the big idea isn't clear  in the beginning. it was gradually come up to the surface after 40 schemes.

we didn't do the proposal based on current trend in china market.  Instead  of it, we took risks and develop something we think it is only available to be built for the comepetition site.

The only way to start the project  is based on the program.   Some of our team members focus on the program very much and build the massing like residential towers based on the square meet.  Only by this way, we generaed the right scale sense for this complex.   Then the idea was generated eventually.

"St. George's Fields
Jan 10, 11 4:16 pm

Let the data and site speak for itself. Generate the legally required volume.

Build from there."

Dec 19, 13 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

If you want to win...

1). Find out who the jurors are.

2). Do something they would like.

Dec 20, 13 8:50 am  · 
 · 

Or, to be less cynical...

1). Find out what organization is running the competition.

2). Understand their motivations, why they started it to begin with.

3). Design something to work with their real motivations, treat them like your client.

Dec 20, 13 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Competition strategy is simple.  "Hire"  a bunch of cheap or even unpaid interns let them have at it.

Winning is actually just a numbers game.  Offhand I 'd figure burn through about 25-30 interns per winning competition.  And the great thing is that its positif feedback loop.  More we win, more interns want to labor for us.

Dec 20, 13 11:45 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

To Lee Robert and Another poster:

Thanks for the post. Here is my explanation.

Before the presentation, we have no idea who the juries are. The client didn't tell us. This isn't a public competition.  It was an invited one.

The interns are up to contribute their endless efforts. But they need a strong leader to guide.  If the interns are from ivy league, they can contribute alot already. Otherwise,  they won't help much.

Dec 22, 13 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

HandsumCa$hMoneyYo:

Since you mentioned intern, I here would like add our experience with them.   During the process, they do produce some very eye-poping massings.  So I guess we can use them in the beging like massing study, let us say they could put office tower in some places no matter where the traffice route preference would be.  Also, they can make endless physical models. THESE endless analysis is useful to make sure we didn't rule out any possibilities.

But in conclusion, they still need guidance eventually.  Otherwise, it is a joke for them to win something professionally.  To be able to build a building nicely in a total different animal than just draw something nicely. 

Dec 22, 13 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: