Archinect
anchor

Advice on my schooling decision.

arivas208

I am currently enrolled in a BS construction management program at Boise State University. I am a about 1/3 of the way finished, mostly general classes. I have been having second thoughts about the program because of the recession, even though I wont be finished until 2013. I have and AS in drafting and design and have 3 years experience as an architectural drafter and about 5 years experience as a framing carpenter. The thought of starting in a completely different field makes me feel like I have wasted too much time in this field. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Thoughts?

Jan 8, 11 3:34 pm
jplourde

Supposedly, if one works for 12 years in the profession, according to NCARB/ARE one can take the exams for licensure. I think yr experience would qualify [though I would ask them]. Do you want to do it in 5-10 years with a sizable debt? Or 10-12-15-18-etc [don't know how motivated you are] with no debt?

But this is just hearsay, verify it.

Jan 8, 11 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

stick to construction.... maybe take a few design studios on the side...get your builders license also

Jan 9, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I think your degree should help and you already got some good experience. You should be ok.

Jan 10, 11 8:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: