Archinect
anchor

What are the fundamental and requisite skills or factors that determine success in the design field?

dno

This question is meant to be open to anyone regardless of experience or competency.

I am compiling of list of 5-7 skills/qualities/factors that determine success in the field of architecture and design.

These could be things like knowledge of code, confidence, hand-drawing skills or software expertise.

Something to consider, think about the present and the years ahead, not just what has been successful in the past.

Best

Jan 6, 11 4:26 am
St. George's Fields

Design is hardwired into the system.

You can learn fundamentals to help you as a designer but nothing will necessarily give you those abilities whether or not you have them.

Jan 6, 11 4:33 am  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Connections/networking with other people!

Jan 6, 11 5:20 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

The ability to hold out for 25 years until your first commission arrives.

Jan 6, 11 9:30 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

The ability to convince others to spend their money on what you envision.

Jan 6, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Money and luck are all you need, lots and lots of both

Jan 6, 11 11:08 am  · 
 · 
santa monica

The ability to find clients.

Jan 6, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
binary

a real-time job..... use architecture as a hobby

Jan 6, 11 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

A poker face and the ability to b.s. the spots off a leopard.

I know interior designers with marginal knowledge who thrive off nothing more than the ability to produce timely hand-drawings.

This field is so screwed up.

Jan 6, 11 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
ChesterCopr

Thank you very much for these contribution. I am making a UK essay about this subject. I really appreciate what you gave. Thanks.

Jan 7, 11 5:32 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I can make timely hand drawings... and I still live in a basement

Jan 7, 11 11:00 am  · 
 · 
hematophobia

wow..
what ever happened to the ability to actually 'design' i don't understand why an understanding of 'code' or 'software expertise' determines 'success' in the field.
isn't knowledge of code simply rote learning, and isn't 'software expertise' simply a result of practice.
what about the ability to be sensitive and perceptive to our surrounding, to humanity, an intrinsic intuition of space, materiality, light.
the phenomenological qualities of a place.
an perhaps less abstract, a logical and systematical way of solving problems, or perhaps even an elegant and beautiful aesthetic...and a conviction and point of vew on how people should live

i sure as hell don't want an architect that knows the building code off by heart, can use every single software out there, can schmooze any client and be convincing yet is completely impervious to beauty, illogical when it comes to problem solving with no understanding of spatiality, no interest in how society interacts or how people want to live and frankly..and as dull as dishwater...

Jan 8, 11 11:12 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Having an architect familiar with codes means that you don't have multiple revisions which can eat up your budget or an illegal project that can never be built. Like it or not it is a building not a sculpture and there are rules that must be followed.

I actually spent weeks working on CDs for an apartment building one time. The architect didn't bother to check the zoning. I wasn't the only one who worked on them and I am sure many thousands of dollars were wasted.

Schmoozing the clients has got to be in the top 3 if your running your own office. Unless posting 3d buildings to the sketch up library is your idea of success.

The last thing 95% of the public wants is an architect who insists on applying his social engineering to their lifestyle. You can't force anybody to live the way you think they should... even when you are right.

Jan 8, 11 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
hematophobia

perhaps it's such pragmatic approaches to architecture that has made it a bitter industry that more often then not produces ugly and unfunctional buildings.

shouldn't knowledg of code be a given rather than the 'determining factor of success..?' it's like saying oh..wait, the determining factor of sucess for being an architec is to create a 'building' ... the success of a car designer is to create a car that 'moves'.. a great pilot ensures his planes do no crash. these are the mandatories, not the things that make a designer great...not knowing them makes you a failure of a designer, knowing them only gives you the foundation knowledge of a designer, but again do not make your great or give you success

i don't think one can help but apply their view of social enginering to their bulidings. design is only an extension of who you are. if you are arrogant and dominating , your design will reflect that. rem's buildigs are the architectural manifestations of rem, gehry's are his. when you design a building and decide whether it's open and generous, or hermetic and oppressive, whether the seats face away from each other, or face inwards, whether the gestures are severe, or subtle, monumental or mundane, each and everyone of these are a political act, both towards the people that will use the building and the context around it. it's an inevitable expression. so i can only hope that the architect has clearity of intention perferably with utilitarian roots....nothing worse then a confused and muddled design

oldfogey - i rather put the 'phenomenlogical qualities of place' on my license plate then 'familiar with all facets of cad and render monkeying... '

Jan 8, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

what is the politics of value engineering?

Jan 8, 11 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
hematophobia

shame. i guess this would just be one of the parameters someone who decides to pursue architecture has to face. for me, i would prefer to think of it is a constraint. architecture is full of them - code constraints, physical constraints, programmatic constraints / requirements.
if you don't want value engineering, perhaps sculpture is more your thing.
just take it as something that must be dealt with, as is putting a roof on your building, handles on your doors and access for the disabled. if you let it annoy you, perhaps you will be annoyed and bitter for the rest of your architectural career.

Jan 8, 11 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

last post not meant to cut down your point, hema, that things like code analysis are requisite skills in the service of design...cool, impassioned post

at the same time, there are people for whom they are code experts and they do or review the code analysis for projects, it is a reality of the profession, as well as value engineering, which can strip a design of the vestiges of its intent very quickly

even so, there is a bit of room for what you describe

Jan 8, 11 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

1 Communication skills, aka salesmanship. This is often derided as secondary, or tertiary, but I'm putting it first for a reason. One can be the best designer in the world, but if one cannot communicate cohesively, and with intent, then....

2 Design skills. And this is intrinsically tied with #1. Good, clear, design sells. People, and even corporate clients can see some value in good design. But it only sells if the author can sell it.

3 No... that's it really. Design skills and the ability to allow your client to understand why they need you. You could ask another question, or series of questions getting into the how and why of design and communication skills. But you asked about success, primarily, and I feel design and/or communication is a discussion all its[their] own.

Jan 8, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

marrying into money.

Jan 12, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: