Archinect
anchor

Gehry's Business School in Sydney

aldorossi

The comments seemed to have died out in the news item but I thought some interesting issues were raised in the comments. Cut and paste my comment:

I'm afraid the effect of the result overtakes the stated intention of the Architect in this case. It is imposible not to see some kind of programmatic expression in a "state or the art business school" given the "state of the business art" over the past three years.

While it's easy for this to drift into the realm of sarcasm, wit, irony, etc., what are we to make of Gehry's stated intentions?

Insofar as concepts like typology and context are looked upon as quaint and out-of-date anymore, where else can this go...?

Jan 2, 11 5:21 pm
St. George's Fields

Except the typology and context of many of Gehry's work are wholly appropriate for many of his projects.

If one were to take the bulk of his floor plans and investigate how they are used and for what their intended use is... most of his designs are actually pretty conservative.

Judging by the windows alone, there seems to be a fairly standard numbers of rooms and 4 or 5 larger features-- this is typically what every contemporary school building has. Now, it's not a rigid stacked cube design but it is close.

You can feasibly call Gehry a cake decorator. But, I'd wager his designs more or less being marzipan petit fours melting in full sun.

Jan 3, 11 12:38 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I can't seem to link to it... but there was recently a published study that education environments based on the traditional "quadrangle" design fared better in most aspects compared to more contemporary or open planned schools.

Which would perhaps explain why this particular form has been used in public institutions for nearly 2000 years.

Jan 3, 11 12:47 am  · 
 · 
dia

Having worked on a competition for UTS earlier in 2010 that was supposedly geared towards young practices, but went to very established Denton Corker Marshall, I am not surprised by this Gehry rehash. I respect Gehry, but I feel that this us rather generic - its more about getting a Gehry than getting a building that is fit for purpose. Kind of like getting any Mercedes because it is a Mercedes - never mind that its used and costs the same as a brand new Skoda.

Jan 3, 11 1:17 am  · 
 · 
dia

Having worked on a competition for UTS earlier in 2010 that was supposedly geared towards young practices, but went to very established Denton Corker Marshall, I am not surprised by this Gehry rehash. I respect Gehry, but I feel that this us rather generic - its more about getting a Gehry than getting a building that is fit for purpose. Kind of like getting any Mercedes because it is a Mercedes - never mind that its used and costs the same as a brand new Skoda.

Jan 3, 11 1:18 am  · 
 · 
dia

woops, that will be the gin & tonic

Jan 3, 11 1:18 am  · 
 · 
hematophobia

yes. i feel the same. it's like sydney just wanted a piece of 'starchitecture' right. who cares whether it's right or not.
the gehry is the ugly louis vutton bag

Jan 7, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

=

Jan 7, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I always liked those asymmetrical access doors on the central bridge console . . .

What were we talking about ?

Jan 7, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: