Archinect
anchor

brick repointing

shaner

hi everyone.

im considering buying a great home built in 1905. however the brick needs to be repointed. any ideas of what this kind of work will cost me? the house is apporx 20' x 50' 2 storey semi detached. so about 1600 sqft of brick to be repointed.

im just looking for a ballpark figure. someone told me i could expect to pay about $16,000-17,000

does that seem accurate? if it matters im in the windsor, ontario area.

thanks

Jan 2, 11 3:46 am
St. George's Fields

How wide are the mortar joints? What kind of brickwork is it?

Repointing by hand is usually between $20-25 a square foot. Repointing with power tools is about $8 a square foot. I've only seen the prices as either or. So, low end would be about $16,000 and high end would be around $40,000.

Jan 2, 11 3:58 am  · 
 · 
binary

get a grinder with a diamond disk and do it yourself.... little at a time...

Jan 2, 11 4:33 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

$16k and $40k are big numbers and I think you would be justified in asking the owner to let you have some masons visit the house and give you an actual bid.

Jan 2, 11 9:53 am  · 
 · 

we did "patchpointing" - just having joints touched up where necessary. 3 yrs later they still look like new. under $500. do you need to tuckpoint the whole place?

Jan 2, 11 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

its flat face clay brick. double wydth. 1/2" joints. there are arched soldier courses over the windows but that is the only fancy stuff. everything else is standard structural brick construction.

there are parts of the house that have been patched. around some of the windows they have added some sealant or something. looks like hell... i imagine we could do some of the work as "patchpointing" however it seems that sooner or later thw whole thing will need to be repointed.

Jan 2, 11 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

watched some DIY videos... seems like a project i might ba able to tackle myself over the summer..

Jan 2, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Be sure to use the correct brick mortar. Otherwise your looking at a nightmare 5 years down the road with spalling brick.

Jan 2, 11 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
b-money

I have gotten quotes for upwards of $50 a sqft for repointing masonry in Philly. The advice above about using the right mortar mix is wise and huge. Essentially you want to be sure that if you have a 'soft' brick that you use a 'soft' mortar. If you use hard mortar with soft brick, lots of cracking will ensue. in philly at the turn of the century lots of lime was typical in mortar mixes which led to very soft mixes. I spent an entire summer a few years back repointing an elevator shaft that still looks pretty spectacular 6 years later. Using the right recipe will serve you well.

Jan 2, 11 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: