Archinect
anchor

THESIS.. :(

Gladz

My thesis is all about housing using recycled materials that could be constructed quickly and easily by the end-user on-site, with only hand tools and manual labor.

but i'm having a hard time in searching for the specific materials that i'm going to use,. :((
i still don't have any definite idea bout it. so i'm begging that you'll be able to help me in some of your ideas. :((

please please,,..

i badly needed it. :( T.T
i'm running out of time. T_T

i hope you can reply and contact me here..
gmartinezky_08@yahoo.com

thank you so much!

Dec 14, 10 12:33 am
MixmasterFestus

"Quickly" and "hand tools" are usually mutually exclusive. However, the following comes to mind:

http://earthship.com/
http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/
http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2008/12/16/pallet-house-construction-alternative/

and, of course, stuff used in Rural Studio (although it might not meet all your criteria).

YMMV, depending on your site. Also, start your research sooner! ;-)

Dec 14, 10 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Gladz

hmm. mu concept is Bahay kubo, so the house that im going to design is elevated. i have to use Light weight materials (recycled)

thanks for the licks.. i really appreciate it.

Dec 14, 10 2:40 am  · 
 · 
Gladz

*links

Dec 14, 10 2:45 am  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus
Gladz

hmm. it says there that it is Temporary “log” houses built.. hmm

is it possible to use paper rolls and crates here in the philippines??

Dec 14, 10 2:57 am  · 
 · 
phld21

Check this video out... He's a little crazy, but it only makes him more convincing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_phillips_creative_houses_from_reclaimed_stuff.html

I think the hardest part about thesis is getting really specific about what you want to do for your thesis.

Housing with recycled materials is a good start. Pick a site, then find materials from that.

Could you locate construction projects located around your chosen site, and build a house purely from the waste of surrounding construction projects?

Would you focus on larger scale recycling/scrap yards for materials? Then research them, how much does recycled/reclaimed stuff cost, and how many hours does it take to transport/reuse?

Dec 14, 10 9:56 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

this is not a thesis

Dec 14, 10 11:12 am  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

it can be a thesis, as long as there are fewer :((

Dec 14, 10 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

DO YOUR OWN FUCKING WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 14, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

DO YOUR OWN FUCKING WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 14, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

greyvsgray..i think what spacefraud and others are trying to say is... why would you choose a topic that you clearly know nothing about? also it's not really a new idea.

Dec 14, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

You could find some paper tubes and test them to see if (and how) they stand up to humidity, depending on your resources. Given my experience with finding design information on other building materials, testing data for high-humidity environments can sometimes be lacking (laboratory conditions whaaaa?) It would be a valuable contribution to building science, and maybe you could poke around and find funding even ;-)

Theses (at least for design, to my understanding) don't have to be new or even something you know anything about; unless you have to present it tomorrow or something, a thesis can be an opportunity to learn about a topic of interest. However, I would recommend some extra time with the Google search engine (or in a library) so that you can delve a little deeper.

Dec 14, 10 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Gladz

i have all the things that is needed. i have the users, site, who will finance my project, etc. but the specific materials to be used is now my problem.. what are the construction system to be adapt, and how to construct it.

@mdler: I's Sorry.. i don't need your opinion.

@s p a c e f r a u d : ok. if thats you opinion. u still dont know WHY i come up to this proposal, so dont judge!

@larslarson: yeah, its not really a new idea, BUT try to research about socialized housing if theres any of them who uses Recyclable materials here in the Philippines. NHA-national housing authority assures me of that. :(

@MixmasterFestus thank you very much. :(
thanks for being generous and understanding. thanks for not insulting my project.

Dec 14, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

as far as new ideas: christ, if I see another thesis about sustainable this or water that, I will die.

as far as knowing something before you study it: that seems backwards to me

all projects should be on the table; they're just fake projects, after all--maybe you learn something, maybe you don't

Dec 14, 10 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Go to your local landfill and have a looksee.

Dec 15, 10 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"i have the users, site, who will finance my project, etc."

So you are building this thing out of materials TBD, but you already have volunteers to climb into it?

What a strange THESIS.. :(

UN has published a manual on how to build a cheap fiberglass boat. But in reality, it can be any shape you want it to be. You can use recycled content for the fiber reinforced plastic. Any villager could theoretically do it singlehandedly according to the manual.

But you can't wait till the last second to start making the MOLDS :(.

Dec 16, 10 12:41 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

friend of mine did something like this but its very hard to make it a thesis - cause you are already painting yourself into a corner by being material specific with materials from a specific geographic location.
I guess Im saying it sounds like you have the specific details figured out but you dont have any of the big picture ideas in order...and the big picture idea is the first part of STUDYING a thesis. You dont exactly know about materials untill the very end of any project. We dont go to a client that just comissioned us to do a building for them and say "this is the carpet and wall colors we are going to use in the second active teen space"

Program yo

Dec 16, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

hahahaha im not judging you. i made a simple critique. i am glad you said i didn't know "why" and not "how". this is a good thing.

the problem that surfaces with recyclable materials, nearly every time, is that it is immediately confused with sustainability, which is not a thesis, and actually takes alot out of one unless it is a landscape. i would suggest this method for someone interested in laugiers primitive hut, for example, or something worth reading. adolf loos ornament and crime would also be interesting to look at for you.

Dec 16, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Agree. This is not a thesis. A thesis is an arguable statement that you set out through discussions and examples to support your thesis. Your direction, like most common thesis is treated like a typical studio project. I seen people tackle recycled materials from all different angles and the end results were not successful. But as a studio project, some had a great proposals but failed having a proper thesis. Don’t fool yourself into believing that you’re that little boy that pulls the sword from the stone and something magical is bound to happen.

Dec 18, 10 2:49 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

The thing about materials that are constructed quickly, is that they are rarely reused from a landfill. Rural studio was only viable in that it employed students as day laborers, effectively negating the economics of 'people'-hours. Of course one can create a facade from differently sized car windshields if one has nearly infinite 'people'-hours garnered for free.

The 0,0,0 philosophy by Werner Sobek might make more sense here. Essentially, the idea that the amount of energy that goes into a structure can come out of it. IE were you to disassemble his house all you would need is a screwdriver, not a wrecking ball. Which means you can intelligently either reuse or recycle the glass, steel, whatever. This enables flexibility and modularity without sacrificing labor, and with a nod to the afterlife of the project.

Everyone likes to tow the line of Mockbee, but we forget his work could only exist in a vacuum.

Dec 19, 10 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: