Archinect
anchor

good roofing book - canadian climate

crgixxer

I am looking for a good roofing reference book...something that would apply to a canadian climate.

I find myself quite lost when confronted with the multitude of roofing systems, the hundreds of proprietary products, and the particularities of each deck substrate.

I feel as if I need a general introduction to the types of roofing systems, and associated details because at times I feel like I don't even understand the basics.

any help would be great

Dec 13, 10 4:29 pm
Humulus Lupulus

Are you more interested in information for commercial or residential scale projects?

Dec 14, 10 1:05 am  · 
 · 
postal

NRCA Roofing Manuals. Super technical, but pretty much my first & last stop when researching and detailing systems in the US. Unfortunately, you're probably not going to get a quick spread sheet outlining the pros and cons of every system. If you have more personal (than the internet) contact at a local office, i think they could point out what is preferred locally, what's cheaper locally, and what clients like to use. It's not always a cut & dry decision.

But for details, anything NRCA & SMACNA will get you started.

Dec 14, 10 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I'll second the NRCA Manual. Also, the most stringent roofing testing entity is the insurance company called Factory Mutual. They have their own FM ratings for roofing components. The look into uplift, hale, snow loads, hurricane and twister resistance, fire behavior, etc...

All weather conditions in Canada have their equivalent in the US. In fact, I'd argue the weather tends to be more extreme in Canada's Mexico.

Other than that, roofing selection is very tricky. After years of writing roofing specifications, I too can easily get stumped. It comes down to the overall structure of the building, performance requirements, cost, use of the roof, client's interest in buying a quality product, LEED requirements, etc...

Protected membrane will need to have ballast or pavers to protect the membrane from UV and direct impact. Thermoplastic roofing products can come in environmentally friendly colors and very long warranties. EPDM is the most popular choice for developers looking to flip the property. Inverted roofing has many benefits over standard roofing and vice versa.

Once you work on a number of different projects, some of this stuff will start making more sense.

Dec 14, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: