Archinect
anchor

architecture in/near baden-württemberg

mk2

looking for some interesting buildings/places to visit near karlsruhe, frankfurt, stuttgart, etc.

any recommendations? holz.box? ;)

Dec 12, 10 5:52 pm
jds87

well, frankfurt is definitely not in b-w, but since you mentioned it...

in frankfurt the IG Farben-Haus by Hans Poelzig is incredible. It's been renovated to be the headquarters of Frankfurt University and has some of the few remaining Paternoster elevators in the world. also there's a cafeteria across the back plaza that's part of the same complex where you can get a good student cafeteria meal for super cheap, especially if you can convince them you're a student there.

in darmstadt, very close to frankfurt, check out the Mathildenhoehe with buildings by Peter Behrens and other greats from the Jugendstil era.

also in darmstadt, hundertwasser's Waldspirale is very interesting too.

Dec 12, 10 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
mk2

great stuff.. the waldspirale is out of this world!

Dec 12, 10 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
jds87

also in frankfurt (google these yourself)

OM Unger's German Architecture Museum

The Oberfinanzdirektion (an interesting 1950's office building with an incredible staircase, if you can get in past the security guard)

in karlsruhe you should check out the Center for Art and Media (zkm.de)

in stuttgart there's probably some remnants of the weissenhofsiedlung but i've never made it there myself.

Dec 12, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

freiburg/vauban on this thread

what to see in stutgart

i'd rec a short jaunt down to basel, which is really dense and has a lot worth catching.

Dec 12, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

peter behrens farbenwerk is pretty great, too. i visited in '90 and it was fascinating, a whole 'atrium' of cascading colored bricks. near frankfurt: http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/I._G._Farben_Offices.html

i'll second matildenhohe, too. the olbrich work is sublime.

josef kleihues' museum of pre- and early-history - a renovation and addition to a burned church - is a good mid-80s gem.

behnisch's postal museum is near meier's folk art museum.

all frankfurt, of course.

Dec 12, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: