Archinect
anchor

Are art fairs the new mall? A culture/consumption enabling TAZ?

In this article in NYT on Art Basel Miami Beach, the author wonders is it not possible that art fairs like Art Basel Miami Beach are in some sense the new malls?

The idea of an urban district or city scaled consumer environment is not off point.

Obviously though even if true it is for a small slice of people as the author notes Art Basel Miami Beach is a pre-Christmas break for global billionaires...

I think though it is interesting to think about these sorts of roving art fairs as the cultural equivalent to the roving securitized autonomous zones of the G20 et al.

In other words in both cases it is the replicable, TAZ for the enjoyment and use of the global elite. And both are in many ways purely economic theater. In the sense of facilitating both marketing, networking and even actual dollars spent to occur.

Dec 12, 10 4:54 pm
sarmath

of course art fairs are the new mall. i've been in a few, and the only difference is the average price of the items presented.

Dec 12, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

This photo from an 'on your face' party reminds me the billboard that says 'world is yours' in scarface the film. both in miami!

also, link to TAZ

Dec 12, 10 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan perhaps not like a TAZ then because they aren't anarchic in a political sense. More organized around a consumption based hierarchy rather than an chaotic one. They are however parlor (esque), right?

Dec 12, 10 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: