Archinect
anchor

water on the utility RM floor: I need to find why

cmrhm

Hi, I just found out my utility room floor have some water. I need to find out the reason of it quick.

This room is a small room within my garage and is located on the 1st floor. My house is 3 story townhouse.

Inside it, there is HVAC system and heater. I noticed There is a free standing pipe hang from the ceiling. It didn't connected to anything in the bottom, I really don't know what it is for. I am not sure if this pipe is used to drain the water from somewhere to the floor drain on the floor.

Anyone can guess the reason for the water? Your help is highly appreciated.

Dec 9, 10 11:38 am
el jeffe

gnomes.

seriously? you're posting a question on the internet about where a water leak in your townhome is coming from?

Dec 9, 10 11:47 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I peed on the floor - Sorry, I had quite a few beers and I didnt know where the bathroom was.

Dec 9, 10 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I thought there might have some architects with good knowledge in plumbing. This isn't a rocket science, isn't it?

Dec 9, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Free standing pipes should be mounted on the floor not hung from the ceiling - fix that and your problems will be solved.

Dec 9, 10 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

"I thought there might have some architects with good knowledge in plumbing. This isn't a rocket science, isn't it?"

Call a plumber. How's that for rocket science?

Dec 9, 10 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who have substantial knowledge of plumbing; just not of your townhome. get it?

Dec 9, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

is this utility room how you access the swinging jacuzzi?

Dec 9, 10 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

urbanity: I will call them. But at least I need to know what cause it. Otherwise, some plumbers would come here and if he don't know it. It will still cost me at least 109 bucks.

Dec 9, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Did you check if any of your units are leaking water? Sometimes a water heater can leak so check the pan and see if there is more water there.

There is also a little hose from your HVAC unit that goes outside...that can also be leaking.

This is just basic things I would look for before paying anybody to resolve my problem!

good luck

Dec 9, 10 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

poop876: Thanks for a direction. You didn't mention heater, that is right. The water isn't around heater area.

I will check on the things you suggested.

Amazingly, i found a thread illustrates very similar situation to mine:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/water-leaking-furnace-heat-66189/

Dec 9, 10 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

WTF, you want architects to beat the plumber's price now?

Oh noooo!!! DIY chatrooooom!! But of course..........!

Dec 9, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Pipe sounds like it might be a condensate pipe. How big is it.in inches.

Dec 9, 10 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

either condensation or a lose water connection to your hvac if you have a humidifier....

where is your water heater at?

Dec 9, 10 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

binary:

Thanks. Sounds like your guess is very logical. Yes, I have a humidfier connected to the furnace. Let me see if I took a shot tonight.

My heater is fine since there is no water around it. Heater is opposite to the furnace.

Dec 9, 10 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

"This room is a small room within my garage and is located on the 1st floor. My house is 3 story townhouse."

sounds to me like the drain tile under your garage slab could be damaged, causing water to build up under your slab, and in turn will find its way through any small cracks within the slab. Also if your gutter drain system below grade is clogged this could also be adding to your problem. When it rains outside if your room fills up with water, that is an indication of a damaged drain tile.

ps. I don't accept personal checks. send me cash. good luck.

Dec 10, 10 3:17 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

CE:

That is impossible, are you kidding? the floor for the u. rm is higher than the first floor slab on other places.

Dec 10, 10 10:07 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

send me some drawings, here in the Chicago area, most people have a garage, slab on grade, and the rest of the house has the basement.

you said "This room is a small room within my garage and is located on the 1st floor." so it sounded to me like the utility room was inside of your garage? which I assumed was a slab on grade? you got to send some sections or plans.

Dec 11, 10 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Archinect delivers another jaded, angry mauling to a question deserving a mere spanking. You go girl.

I'm just glad the garage is on the 1t floor. Prolonged unemployment is making me feel like I'm missing out on technological breakthroughs. Such as flying cars in this case.

Dec 11, 10 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I once mistook a utility room for a toilet room at a new year's party.

Dec 11, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I think renderings would be appropriate too...

Dec 11, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sounds like you have a humidifier in your furnace. They seem to sh_ _ the pot if you have hard water . If you pop the cover of the furnace you might see something.

Dec 11, 10 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I finally took some good pictures of my furnace. Mine type is NUGM series Condensing Gas Furnace around 15 years old, I guess.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QCnFr0VqVh4/TQFf8z3EEPI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/Bx7f_-nzCfQ/s1600/photo.jpg >

Dec 14, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Sorry. Here is the smaller size.

Dec 14, 10 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
binary

looks like the drain for the humidifier... the clear tube probably goes into the short pipe......

Dec 14, 10 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

If you want to diagnose a water leak, I have a very simple and inexpensive suggestion.

It is a little bit tricky. You need two things-- a sizable portion of a powdery substance called Rhodamine B and a black light.

First, take the Rhodamine B powder and sprinkle it everywhere you think there is a suspected leak. Do this when it is dry. Wait til water shows back up. Use black light. Rhodamine B glows super bright pink under a UV lamp.

On contact with water, Rhodamine B turns from a dark green color to super florescent pink. The staining of the area with indicate both movement of water and presence of water.

That's how the pros do it. Unfortunately, Rhodamine B will turn everything in that room hot pink over time and is pretty much permanent once it dries.

Dec 14, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dec 14, 10 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Clear Pipe is from Humifier, white pipe is drain line attached to plumbing floor drain.

If you look at the picture above you have a humified on the right hand side mounted on the exterior. See the clear tube...drain line from humifier....ties into white line which is a drain line tied back to the sanitary sewer line or to a floor drain.

Put the clear tube in the white tube...and you should not have any additional problems. Then take the money you saved and go buy yourself a nice bottle of Kicking Chicken...(Wild Turkey)...and consider you came out ahead of calling a plumber in to fix the problem.

Dec 14, 10 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

snook_dude, strlt_typ and others:

You guys help save me alot of cash and worry. Thanks!

Dec 21, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

...and we, architects, complain about diy-ers. who needs to hire a pro when we've got the interrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnet?...

Dec 21, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: